christmas (no) lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was enjoying the usual tv repeats christmas night when without warning the electric went off.The engineer came out and replaced the blown main 60 amp fuse.No other fuse had blown.An hour after he went i noticed the fridge was off.The fuse that covers that wall socket had blown after main fuse was replaced.3 hours later the main fuse blew again!He came out again 1am boxing day morning and replaced the main fuse.in the meantime i had put new fuse wire in the blown fuse operating 2 wall sockets.he said leave fridge unplugged as this must be the cause.5 mins after he left the main fuse blew again.only thing on was dvd player .Another callout resulted in a new main fuse again.It is still working,only difference being he left the fuse out so the socket the fridge was in is out of action.fridge is plugged in another socket now.i have gas oven and fires and no storage heaters.Is it worth replacing the rings main fuse for the sockets ang trying to use it again?

Sponsored Links
The circuit needs to be tested using an insulation resistance tester, earth loop impedance tester to name two. When you have done this, post your readings on here and someone will be able to help

even if a fuse doesn't blow a fault may still damage it especailly if its close in value to the fuse that does blow first.

it sounds like each time one fuse blew and the other was damaged but not completely blown causing it to blow first the next time.

i'm guessing by engineer you mean a guy from the leccy co who was just out to replace the fuse and

leave the fuse for that cuircuit out until you can get someone in who has proper installation testing equipment and knows how to use it or you'll most likely end up with another blown main fuse.

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of a time I was called to house in the sticks with no power - they told me very little over the phone, and basically, keys under the mat.

I called in, first thing I notice is a tripped main ECLB. I switch it on, and bang - the thing is blown off the wall with my fingers on it! Huge flash, DNO fuse blown.

I call out the DNO, and a guy turns up saying it is the second time he has been that day! The fuse blew in the morning due to the faulty ELCB, so he changed the fuse, turned on the ELCB and it blew, he replaced his fuse again, and told the owner to get a sparky. Didn't say "oh, and dont turn it on", and didn't leave a note for when I arrived! The air was blue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back