Oven Isolator Switch

also meant to say that Oven has a stiff plastic cable which is wired directly into the switch.

Sponsored Links
BL****Y H*LL!

Pull out the fuse for that circuit.

Disconnect the cooker from the outlet

Don't try to use it again until fixed

Then, provided you have checked the power is off and are confident you can do it safely, take off the wall switch and let us see what's behind it (a big still pic will do).

I suspect a loose wire behind the switch. Might have happened when the wall was tiled (the tiling and switch look fairly new) or maybe a fixing screw for the switch has punctured a wire.

Meanwhile ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician.

p.s. what did you do immediately before that flashbang?

p.p.s.
My mistake, you said:
"Power is off
Oven/Cooker switch is set to on
Oven is off
I switch the leccy back on
Big spark from socket "

p.p.p.s.
Is there any chance the bathroom people touched the cooker circuit, e.g. to connect an electric shower?

Problem Fixed! I bought this place just over a year ago and have had nothing but problems because of the previous owners DIY attempts! Well it looks like the tw*t has tried his hand at the electrics also.

The live wire casing must have been slightly cut and a bit of the wire showing. I'm assuming when the guys have done the bathroom they have pulled on the cable slightly and this has brought the live wire close enough to the socket mounting and well the rest you know, big sparks etc! It also wasn't earthed!

Rewired, powered up, no sparks... time for some long awaited cheese on toast!

Thanks again to all!

Nick

God almighty! If I saw that in my house, I'd follow JohnD's advice to the letter! :eek:

Nick, did you cut back any damaged wire? I'd expect to see some damage from that kind of yellow spark, it illuminated the whole faceplate :LOL:

Normal switch sparks are blue and come from around the switch rocker itself, NOT from around the face plate!

Sponsored Links
A beauty wasn't it! I've had the fuse etc unplugged for weeks and only ever put it in for the lightning show!

I cut off all the damaged wire, lucky there was a good bit spare.

I ran my oven for about 30 min and took the socket out again just to check and it's all ticky boo now.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back