One radiator not getting hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know absolutely nothing about plumbing/radiators/etc. However, there is one radiator in our house that does not work. I tried bleeding it at the top and nothing happened. The thermostat is on high and the pipes from the wall are boiling but the radiator itself does not seem to get hot.

I also opened up the valve on the opposite side from the thermostat on the bottom left and water starting gushing out. I let about half a jug full out. Once I did this, the whole radiator got hot and I thought I'd fixed it but when I came back to it later, cold again.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Attachments

• image1 (6).JPG
    image1 (6).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,484
  • image2 (5).JPG
    image2 (5).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 1,487
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,585
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,522
Sponsored Links
Weird looking setup.

Is that a drain-off valve shoved in where the return pipe should go???

If both pipes coming out of the wall are hot then the valve on the right has failed - it's supposed to have an injector inside it to force water into the radiator but these corrode and fall off, leading to a short circuit through the valve. To the best of my knowledge you can't buy these valves any more - the radiator will need re-piping so that one pipe goes to the left hand side, and new valves putting on

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back