One cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I have one downstairs radiator that will not get hot.

I have bled the radiator and hot water comes out, I assume from the hot water input, the end opposite the thermostat. I did not get any air out.

I have bled the top of the radiator above the thermostat and got cold water, at no time did I get any any air or any hot water.

All the other radiators work fine, including the other 5 downstairs.

Earlier this year we had another radiator fitted onto the system, it works fine. I have no idea if this is the last radiator in the system or where the new radiator fits in the system in terms of flow. I have thought does the new radiator bypass the cold one, so shut off the new radiator, no joy. I have shut all the other radiators off in case it was a balancing issue, no joy.

Q one posting has mentioned the system balancing valve being incorrectly set, I assume this is near the hot water tank? How do I identify it, I have assumed it is the one furthest from the pump, above the tank (the others seem to be isolating valves) any thoughts?

I am lost for ideas on what it might be, does anyone have any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Is the thermostatic valve stuck? Take its head off and see if the pin moves freely.

I am trying to get the cover off, it is a Westherm, no joy will let you know if I succeed, thanks for the response

Question. The thermostatic valve (Westherm) has two plastic "pins" could these pins - I recall in the past they were pulled out, could they be the problem, and the valve is now not opening because they are not correctly in place?
I suppose the question is what do these "pins" do?

They look like a letter N long and thin and appear to fit into the collar of the thermostatic valve plastic collar, nearest to the radiator.

My thought is they set the initial position of the valve and are either not fitted correctly i.e locked in (though they do go all the way in) or they are in and the valve is not in the correct position too allow the valve to function correctly, anyone any experience / knowledge of these "pins"?

In the mean time I will try and get the cover off to try the valve manually.

Sponsored Links
I have answered my own question, the "pins" appear to be locking pins to restrict valve movement and hence temperature, oh well back to getting the cover off!!.

I am assuming now that the way to get the plastic cover off is not the way to do it. I think i have to remove the whole Westherm i.e the Westherm is a self contained unit that in turn attaches to the radiator valve (U know what they say about assumption don't you!!)

The metal valve (The one I am assumiing the Westherm controls),as it has an arrow on it, I assume (another one) is a non return valve and I am hoping the collar that I will unscrew is only to hold the Westherm thermostatic valve in place and is not in any way sealed so that when it is removed all that lovely H20 stays in the pipe and does not escape onto the living room carpet.....Oilman where are you when I need you :D

Thank you Oilman, you are a star!!!! I took off the TRV, there is a little pin which obviously gets pushed in or released by the TRV (previously known as a Westerm, sound like an expert now eh :LOL: ) as you control the radiator temperature, it was stuck. Pushed it in (gently) a couple of times and it freed up...and hey presto one warm radiator...one happy wife and even better no H20 on the carpet.

One happy punter and once again a very big thank you to the Oilman :D :D :D

please help me one of my rads is also stone cold while the rest are hot. I've taken the rad off the wall and noted that the one pipe (the one with the heating control on it) does so much as let the water flow but trickle. how can I solve this as its driving me mad

All my research and experience (limited is an over statement here) would lend me to believe that you either have a 'sticky' valve as I did, which I released by pushing the pin located in the centre of the valve (gently) in and releasing it a couple of times or you have some other blockage, sludge perhaps or perhaps the radiator inlet valve closed or blocked. (Remember that this apparently also balances the system so if you move it, remember how far)

One of the other postings tells you how to deal with sludge, but it seems to be a bit of a job, so I hope it is the valve sticking for you as well.

The other issues such as bleeding radiators that are cold at the top, all downstairs radiators cold, etc are also covered elsewhere, though on face value non seem applicable to you.

Good luck I know how frustrating this is!! And remember what they say a little knowledge is dangerous...and that is what I have...good luck

So here's hoping its a blockage caused by a sticking or closed valve or sludge that you can clear easily.......You need the Oilman :!:

If you "free off" the centre pin with the rad off, you will get very wet. With the rad ON, try pushing the pin down several times. Some can be pulled up with pliers. Have heard of success from tapping the side of the metal bit.

Did the rad work before? Some thermosatic valves have balancing adjustments in them which limit how far the valve opens. Often a ring surrounds the central pin & has a single slot in it. The ring screws down. If open fully it will be about level with its surround.

hi, (need help please)
please can you tell me how you fixed your westherm trv valve without losing any water, did you remove the plastic head and if so, how ?,
many thanks,
teslaman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back