One radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone can help, I have a towel radiator in a new extension that will not heat up. I have cleaned it out, checked for air locks and checked that the valves function ok, when it refilled it heated up but does not heat up when the heating kicks back in.
When I checked the valves only one had water flowing, I assume this is correct as the other is a return?
All other rads new and old work ok and there is a rad on the opposite side of the wall and this functions ok so I do not think that the distance from the boiler is an issue.
The system is a condensing boiler with hot and cold tanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the origional plumber has stopped answering his mobile to me and I think my next step is knocking holes in new walls...

James

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to turn all other radiators off, turn on heating and see if it heats up.
If it does then you have to balance out the system to get water to this rad.
If it doesnt then you need to check water supply to this rad, you said only one valve had water coming out, you should have water in both as you have a pressurized system

Thanks Spamalotte,

I have tried turning all other rads down and this does not resolve the problem, looks like it might be a blockage on one side of the piping if both should be pressurized there was only a dribble of water coming out one side even with the valve off.

If one side gets hot then you have circulation of sorts.

Close the hot end and vent through the return end.

Sponsored Links
Hi Doitall,

I am not getting one side hot it is cold all over, the only time I have got it to heat up has been refilling or by bleeding lots of water off.

James

First are you sure it's not connected to the hot water primary circuit.

Can you drain the rail, and refill it with the flow valve shut, or better still connect a hose to the return pipe and draw some water through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back