One radiator refuses to heat up

no. the valves still have a BSP thread measured in inches on them and fit 30-year old radiators. The old tail can be unscrewed from the radiator if the captive nut does not fit. For this (unless it has a hex thread you can grip with a spanner) you will find the tail has an internal hex in its throat that you can unscrew using a radiator spanner/wrench

p1094520_l.jpg

when you unscrew the tail the old captive nut will come free. If you take the new valve apart you will see how it fits.

you will probably have to take the old olive off the feed pipe if the old nut is not right for the new valve. for this, unless it is loose enough to move when you tap the nut upwards, you have to cut a nick in the olive with a small hacksaw or a dremel if you have one.

you can also use this tool to remove the old plugs with air vents from the top of the rad... the wrench has a hole drilled in the end do it will fit over the bleed nipple if it is broken or jammed in place. It is worthwhile fitting a new one to an old radiator unless he one one is in good condition.

You wrap PTFE tape round the threads of the male tail or plug before you screw it in.

If you new valve is not quite the same length as the old one you can screw the tail in slightly less or slightly more to give you a little adjustment.

Once you have done a few of these you will be a confident DIY plumber!

Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD excellent information, and I fully understand your very clear description of the job, and especially happy about the thread being ok

I am very grateful for all the help you have given me on this great forum.

Best Regards
Ravel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back