One way glass for roof window?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having an extension built.
The inside of the front room has become dark because there is no light coming in - it's too long.

The architect had plans to have a roof light on the new extension.
I'm just concerned that the neighbours will be able to just peer over and see inside!
(I have very good neighbours!)

Is there anyway to get glass that is one way?

Glass tint like car windows?
But then this reduces the light coming in!!

Can't think straight
Any opinions would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use patterned glass that allows light through but distorts the view through the glass.

Or do nothing that would make your neighbours want to see inside.

Yes, you can apply a film that makes glass look like a mirror but it only works in daylight. But in the evening you can have blinds on the window.
I am doing the same thing a the moment with my roof windows, also the blinds are remote control to open and close.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Satin glass. A pit pricy though

Not nearly as pricey as one way mirror glass! As has been stated do not use the one way mirror glass/film unless you are going to cover it at night. Think of all those TV cop programmes where they are in the interview room.. the watchers are always in the dark so you can't see them...if you turned the lights off in the interview room and on in the watchers room , the interviewee would see the watchers . Whichever side has the greatest light source is the side you would see

I hope that made sense!

Satinova glass was used in our front door, i don't think it reduces light really, more diffuses it, but it certainly cannot ever be seen through - just shadows....

Velux has been in the industry a while now and have every option
you can think of already covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back