one way hall switch works in reverse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2-way 2-gang switch which was removed - wire positions noted first - then replaced. I believe all the wires have been replaced where they were before, except that the hall light switch on the left, now works in reverse - e.g previously, to switch the light on, the bottom of the switch was pushed in - now it works the other way round. The right hand switch is a 2 way for the landing light and works correctly.

This is the wiring (looking at the front of the switches):

Hall light switch on left

Black wire into L2 (2-way on left gang)
Red wire into common at top on same gang
L1 on that side is empty

2-way (right hand) switch for landing light

Red wire into L1 (1-way on right gang)
Black wire into L2 (2-way on same gang)

There is a short red wire connecting left and right common inlets.

I cannot see why the hall switch has reversed itself and would appreciate any guidance on how to correct this.

Many thanks

[/u]

Sponsored Links
Hall light switch on left

Black wire into L2 (2-way on left gang)
Red wire into common at top on same gang
L1 on that side is empty

Move it from L2 to L1.

Thanks to JohnD for your reply. I will do as you suggest tomorrow. I had left L1 on the hall switch empty as that was empty before the switch plate was removed. It does make logic to have the black wire there, however, and I am now wondering how the switch ever worked the right way round previously. It is possible I made an error when making the sketch of the wire positions prior to removing the switch plate.

Many thanks.

I was wondering if you might have turned the entire switch upside down.

Sponsored Links
IIRC MK switches use L2 for 1 way connections whereas almost all other manufacturers use L1.

This maybe how the mix up has occoured

Many thanks for all the help. The switch was the right way up but I moved the black wire from L2 to L1 as advised by JohnD and the switch worked correctly.

An afterthought - it would have made life much easier had I taken a digi picture (instead of a sketch) of the wiring, before removing the switch plate.

Once again many thanks to everyone
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back