One way road or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get a answer to a question. We have a one way country lane near us probably about 250 mtrs is one way. It's very narrow with steep banks. Has four width restriction 6ft 6" gates. There has been 2 deaths on this road over the years. Hence why it is now one way. When I was a kid was 2 way. There is no walkway or path alongside it for pedestrians to be there they literally have to lean into the bushes. Now to me common sense would be that one way means one way. However I cannot find a answer either way. Led to a rather heated slagging match early with an old boy walking against the traffic with his two adult daughters telling me one way don't apply to pedestrians. The whole area is unlit and they were wearing dark clothing.

Sponsored Links
Let nature take its course. It usually does. Old fella vs truck??

Of course it doesn't apply. Are you crazy?

ROFLMAO. Is this serious?

Ps: the width restrictions dont apply to fat people.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I've missed something, but doesn't a 'one way' restriction apply only to vehicles and not pedestrians?

I agree with Mitch, though. You can never legislate against lack of common sense, and if this old bloke thought it was a good idea to walk along a road without any pavement or lighting whilst wearing dark clothing, then the inevitable outcome will be his own fault.

Like the aggressive twot cyclists in the other thread, it won't do the cantankerous old git much good to have a smug, self-satisfied smirk etched onto his gravestone.
Probably make his sort feel better though - superior, even in the next life o_O

Yes but if the motorist hits the pedestrian walking down a one way dark lane they will be done for dangerous driving.
Same applies to hitting the unlit cylist at night which is *******s.

So it'd be ok to hit them on a two way country lane?

It matters not which way they are walking, their backs are as dark as their fronts.

If you think about it, it makes far more sense if it were one way, against the flow of traffic, for pedestrians. That way they'd be forced to face oncoming traffic which is what road safety organisations recommend pedestrians do.

Walk on the right hand side of the road facing oncoming traffic, that way drivers get to see the expression on the face of pedestrians just before they run them down. :rolleyes:

The Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/contents/made

Check sign no. 616 in schedule 2 (the regular red & white "No entry" sign) and you'll see that the restriction listed is "No entry for vehicular traffic." Similar wording appears in other signs related to one-way roads, e.g. signs nos. 612 & 613 (no left/right turn), etc.

I wonder how many cyclists ride the wrong way along that road?

I wonder how many cyclists ride the wrong way along that road?
But, surely, rules of the road don't apply to cyclists.
Do they?
Followed one today in Edinburgh. The cyclist ignored every red traffic light he came to. So,,, it seems cyclists are not bound by the same traffic laws every motorist is bound by (and they wonder why they get knocked off)

Sponsored Links
Back