one way switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to change my light switch it only has a live and neutral wire coming from it the new one i have bought has 3 points comms at top and l1 l2 at bottom any ideas where the live and neutral wires go thanx

Sponsored Links
they are NOT live and neutral. they are live (red) and switched live (black, but this should have red tape on it)

the red should go to C and the balck to L1

is it a metal faced switch? if so you should also connect a wire (with green / yellow sleaving) from the switch face to the metal back box and its earth.

but as i said if its a "plastic switch" ignore the last bit

I have the same problem - my new metal switches have to be earthed, but the old plastic ones didn't.

My question is, what kind/size of wire do I use to connect the switch panel to the earth wire that's already inside the mounting box? I have some 30amp and 5amp fuse wire, would that do?

Do I just strip off a bit of the green & yellow wire and wind the new wire around the existing wire? Then connect it to the switch panel?

thanks

If your switch plate has an earth terminal then that is where the circuit protective conductor (The 'earth' wire contained within the outer sheathing alongside the insulated conductors) is connected, because it is the switchplate that is exposed. Ideally you should then connect between this and the earthing terminal of a galvanised back box using conductor of a similar gauge (No, NOT fuse wire - that is designed to melt and disconnect the entire circuit in the event of a fault... not just that switch!!). Bare conductors should be covered with yellow/green PVC sheath.

And all connections should be made with screws - NOT by twisting.

Sponsored Links
carrieo said:
My question is, what kind/size of wire do I use to connect the switch panel to the earth wire that's already inside the mounting box? I have some 30amp and 5amp fuse wire, would that do?
Put it all back and call an electrician. If you can't even be bothered to buy cable, you should not be doing anything with a light switch except flicking it on and off and giggling at the shiny lights.

christ! I only wanted some advice. In fact I AM going to call an electrician, as you suggested, because I think it would be the best thing - but that's the last time I come here looking for help. I don't know what joy you get out of trying to humiliate people, but it's pretty pathetic.

its nothing personal, its just your lack of skill / competance

carrieo and bazzauk1: get used to it, breezer and ban-all-sheds are good and very knowledgeable but are renowned for the occasional acerbic and sanctimonious posts. Hey - they have even had posts removed! I think it's HILARIOUS.

You got off quite luckily. Most of the answers were to the point of the questions.

People get a bit sharp sometimes answering questions when the few facts available suggest that maybe the questioner really does not understand what they are doing. No one here wants anyone to go off and do something dangerous because they do not know enough.

What do parents say when they talk sharply to their kids? 'It's because we love you.'

There's no excuse ever to be 'sharp' if someone is trying their best and asking lots of well-meant questions. The questioner comes to this forum because he/she wants to understand. They come for help. We can help them understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back