Replacing a one way light switch with 2 two way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have followed the instructions on this site to install a new two way system which replaces the old one way system in my kitchen. The original swith had Comm, L1 & L2. There was one red wire in Comm and two red wires in L1. I worked on the assumption that the two red wires in L1 had the same function as the black would have and connected the new 3 core and earth wire accordingly. Now - both switches operate the light fitting but if I switch on at one switch, I can't swich off at the other. I am sure it must be my wiring. Please help :(

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there was something rare with the wiring before you started.

At what terminal on one of the light switches do you have the permanent live cable terminated.

I ask this because ...
You should have a single red cable (permanent live) from the ceiling rose to COM on switch No1
You should have a twin red cable between the two switches (terminated on L1 and L2 on both)
You should have a single red cable returning to the ceiling rose terminating in the switched live position (in the same terminal as the brown wire of the pendant light fitting)

So it looks like this

L1o---------------------oL1
Perm Live----oCOM COMo--------lamp supply
L2o---------------------oL2

So the way it works is ...
Assume you lights are OFF, the supply comes to switch No1 and you make a choice of sending power (by switching) down a core of the twin red.
eg Perm Live - COM - L1(on switch 1) - L1(on switch 2) - COM = Lights ON

Thanks. I have sorted the problem now. You were right. I had connected the new red wire (from the 3 core & earth) to L1 on the original switch. I have now switched two red wires around so that the new red wire is connected to com on both switches. My mistake, but problem solved. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back