2 way switch problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preplacing an old metal boxed 2 way light switch at my garden gate controlling a set of lights to the house. bought a new 1 gang two way ip66 rated waterproof switch to replace it but am puzzled to find that instead of the connections being marked comm, L1,and L2. it is marked, live feed L, live switched x, and neutral x.
The neutral is connected trough a LED light ? :?:
Can any one tell me which is common conection or have i bought the wrong switch. :?:

Sponsored Links
I guess the existing switch has only two wires to it? The new one would need three for the neon to work.

If you do not care about the neon then take the wire out of COM(old switch) and put it in LIVE FEED (new switch)
Take wire out of L1 (old) and put it in LIVE SWITCHED (new).

That's it.

If you want the neon to work then theres a lot of work to do!

Thanks, there are three existing wires, red blue yellow, its a 2 way system with an intermediate switch in the car port. The neon light indicator seems unecessary on a lighting system and can be easily isolated. but should i treat the "live feed" as the common red wire and the blue and yellow L1 L2 as "switched live" and "neutral".

It sounds like you have bought a one way switch which will not work on a two way lighting circuit.

You need to take it back and exchange it for a two way switch.

Sponsored Links
the packaging and instructions clearly say can be wired as a two way as well as one way the product code is E61G2B and is made by Lyvia.
but the wiring diagram only shows a one way wiring system. :?:

Yes it's a 1 gang 2 way switch. (I looked up the part number)

What exactly does it say on the back of the switch? How many holes for wires? A picture would help.

Or else describe the back of the switch. Include details which you don't think would help.

the back of the switch has 4 point in the shape of a square with the switch operating top to bottom. bottom left point is blanked out the top left and top right terminals are both marked with a small "x" the bottom right with a "L".
the one way wiring diagram states use top left as neutral which also has the option to connect the led light, top right switched live and bottom right as live feed. it doesn,t give a wiring digram for a 2 way switching.
does that make any sense to you
:confused:

No.

Why would a 2-way switch have a diagram for use as a 1-way but not a 2-way?

If you can connect a neutral to the top left then clearly that terminal never gets connected to the bottom right in either rocker position, which only leaves top right.

If the live feed doesn't get swapped between 2 terminals by the action of the switch then it isn't a 2-way.

And anyway flameport is right - there's only one make of outdoor accessories you should ever buy.

Thanks, there are three existing wires, red blue yellow, its a 2 way system with an intermediate switch in the car port. The neon light indicator seems unecessary on a lighting system and can be easily isolated. but should i treat the "live feed" as the common red wire and the blue and yellow L1 L2 as "switched live" and "neutral".

As already remarked on, a two way switch must have three terminals, and one of these will NOT be a neutral terminal. On this switch that you have, the neutral is for the neon, and to connect any neutral wires. It sounds like you do not have a neutral there.

Most two way switches will have a terminal at one end known as common, and two terminals at the other end, sometimes known as strappers. The terminals may be marked up as
C, L1, L2
or
L1, L2, L3
or something different again.

If you only have two terminals then it is a one way switch and therefore of no use.

MK is the way to go, B&Queue should have them. Usually they will only have two way switches, which can also be used for one way operation.

Thanks all for your help, i going to buy the switch suggested and put this badly advertised peice of junk in the bin, and stop trying to figure out how it could possibly ever be used as a 2 way.
Much appreciate the help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back