OneShot drain clear in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought some OneShot instant drain cleaner and am a bit worried about it damaging my plastic pipes especially downpipes etc.

Will all be OK as long as I follow the instructions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah, make sure you wear goggles and gloves because it gets hot. Also discolours chrome.

DO NOT USE IT ON INTERNAL PIPEWORK.

Tell us what is blocked and we will advise how to clear it.

Andy

I have recently bought some OneShot instant drain cleaner and am a bit worried about it damaging my plastic pipes especially downpipes etc.

Will all be OK as long as I follow the instructions?

Thanks

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE ONESHOT ON INTERNAL PLASTIC PIPEWORK

Sponsored Links
I been using oneshot on my internal pipes for years. Great stuff.
Especially down the basin.

Yeah, make sure you wear goggles and gloves because it gets hot. Also discolours chrome.

1) It not only discolour chrome, it dissolves steel, it dissolves brass and a variety of other metals.

2) When pored onto water is can form steam which can blow the acid back up the pipework.

3) When mixed with some salts, it can produce a violent exothermic reaction capable of melting PVC and ABS pipework.

4) When mixed with chemicals possibly present in the drain, it can produce high levels of toxic gas.

It is concentrated sulphuric acid and is not suitable for domestic use - why it is still permitted o be sold is beyond me.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8253292.My_face_melted_when_drain_cleaner_exploded/

Used it for years and as long as the MI's are followed (ESPECIALLY the health and safety) its good stuff. Always used it as a last resort, i would always remove traps/plunge first.

It is concentrated sulphuric acid and is not suitable for domestic use - why it is still permitted o be sold is beyond me.

It is a dangerous product in un-skilled hands. Add a small quantity of water to sulphuric acid and you get very hot, sometimes boiling, acid.

From the safety notes at www.w-p.co.uk/netalogue/pdfs/SDS/101465.pdf

(1) IDENTIFICATION/COMPANY
One Shot Instant Drain Cleaner
One Shot Products. Unit 16C Bergen Way, Suttonfields Industrial Estate, Hull HU7 0YQ
Telephone/Fax Number 01482 830952
(2) COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Specially purified sulphuric acid plus organic digesters with purple indicators.
(3) HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
This product contains 91% sulphuric acid w/w
This product is corrosive and causes severe burns.
Harmful by skin contact / eye contact
Harmful by inhalation / ingestion

1) It not only discolour chrome, it dissolves steel, it dissolves brass and a variety of other metals.

2) When pored onto water is can form steam which can blow the acid back up the pipework.

3) When mixed with some salts, it can produce a violent exothermic reaction capable of melting PVC and ABS pipework.

4) When mixed with chemicals possibly present in the drain, it can produce high levels of toxic gas.

1. Flushed properly its not gonna do much damage in a domestic property.
2. Pour carefully (as per MI's and wear goggles/gloves).
3&4. Make sure you don't use any other chemicals/salts with it.
Re youre last paragraph. In that case you should'nt be able to buy knives/cars/hammers etc. Most things can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

1. Flushed properly its not gonna do much damage in a domestic property.
Suggest you checkout the few cases of pipework failing due to heat resulting in tenant in flat below suffering facial burns, blowback as a result of exothermic reaction, skin burns due to spillage

2. Pour carefully (as per MI's and wear goggles/gloves)
The average consumer doesn't have gloves (gauntlets)and goggles with the correct chemical resistance

3&4. Make sure you don't use any other chemicals/salts with it.
There may already be salts in the pipework and, depending on the nature of the blockage, other chemicals present which can produce dramatic reactions.

I've used the stuff quite a few times and have no problem with it but using it on internal (plastic) pipework is not a good idea.

It's available at many retail outlets and sold to anyone who wants it.
Spirits of salts is far worse and is also sold to anyone who wants it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back