Only one wire!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be replacing my light pendant in the living room but when I took it apart I'd notice that there is only 1 wire showing (Red, Black and Earth)

I wanted to know why is there no twin and earth for the light switch? Would it be further back in a junction box?

Also there should be another twin and earth that would carry on from the living room and go into the kitchen for the kitchen light pendent!

Any idea? Is this normal? :?:

Sponsored Links
A single cable would suggest that this pendant is linked to another light that activates at the same time or as you say goes to a junction box somewhere.

Either there's a junction box in your ceiling or all of those connections are made at the switch.

Easiest way to check is to take the switch off and have a looksee.

On the plus side, it makes your life easier in this case

Perfectly normal (particularly looping at the switch)

I believe that the switch has one wire.

The living room light (which the pendant has one wire) can be switched using a single 1gang 1 way switch.

All other rooms switches independently.

I think it is in the ceiling in a junction box as I cant think of any other way of it working!

Sponsored Links
' Nothing' must be a bicycle headlamp with -ve earth to the dynamo :LOL:

DS

A neon screwdriver, or one of its brethren, might :)
We are always being told they don't work.

It's good to see that you have a good grounding in electrics.

...]
getmecoat.gif

A neon screwdriver, or one of its brethren, might :)
We are always being told they don't work.
Oh, they certainly sometimes 'work' (i.e. they sometimes light up). Whether they can be relied upon to light up when they should and/or not light up when they shouldn't is a different matter!
It's good to see that you have a good grounding in electrics.
I have no doubt that he has some understanding of electrics, but he's playing his common game of try to be clever by taking you totally literally. Electrical things can obviously 'work' with only one 'wire', if there is a second path through some conductor that is something other than 'a wire'. Indeed, they could work with no 'wires' at all :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back