Extra wire in ceiling pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Just wondering if someone can please help identify what's going on here in this pendant? There's the expected switch wire and two circuit wires but there's also an additional red wire connected to the 'line' terminal. This comes from a twin and earth cable but only the red wire is being used (the black and earth are cut off).

It's in a room where there's a single switch operating two light fittings. The other light fitting was a fitting with three bulbs and had had chocbloc connectors. I've replaced it with a pendant but can't work out the correct wiring for it.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Especially...what is that single red wire in the first picture for?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160902_120613.jpg
    20160902_120613.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 170
Sponsored Links
Hi, that's the switch wire, your second light appears to loop off ( not a clear picture)
Don't mix up the switch wire and the other reds.

DS

Hi Deadshort. Thanks.
It might not be clear from my picture but there's a black wire in the same terminal as the red wire. I thought the black wire was the switch wire. The red wire comes from a twin and earth cable where neither the black or earth wires are utilised (they are snipped off).

If you disconnect the black wire (and make safe), the second light will not work or both lights will not work, if the latter you are correct which would mean the single red is the loop to the second light.

DS

Sponsored Links
Thanks Deadshort. This is what's confusing as at the second light, there is no single red wire.

If the room was two rooms at one point in time, it's possible that there is a hidden join box, judging by you're wiring , green earth sleeving,the installation is of a 'vintage' that that's possible.

Regards,

DS

Thanks again DS.
Using a multimeter, do you know what the best way is I can identify which is the switched live in the other light fitting?
Thanks

Hi, check for voltage across L and E with the light switched on. It should be 230v, E and N will be 0v.

DS

Cheers for your input. I sorted it by using a continuity checker to work out which wire was coming from where, to the second rose. All working now. Cheers.

Just to be clear …… if the wire has a function, it's not extra :rolleyes:

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back