Oops I ordered the wrong size shower trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just received a McAlpine shower trap model ST90CPB-P-HP2 and ignorantly assumed when it said 50mm 'water seal' that meant the plug hole size, but its designed for a 90mm hole. I'm wondering whether its worth trying to enlarge the hole to fit this because we've had tons of problems with the shower drainage and I basically went for the most expensive one I could find with good reviews. I'm not sure what the shower tray is made of. Its on stilts sitting on the subfloor. It's white plastic looking on top but on the underside it seems more like a rough ceramic/concrete type material so I don't think its plastic. I guess I'll need a 90mm diamond core drill which will cost at least a tenner and I see that I could get a MacAlpine 50mm plug hole size one which can be cleaned out from the top for less than the drill. Or maybe I can get away with a normal masonry core drill (might already have one).

To be honest I think the issue was trapped hair and the previous trap we had (I now removed it) was uncleanable. Any options on whether to do the drilling or just get a trap that will fit?

I like a bit of DIY so am up for doing the drilling but only if it has a good chance of working.

Sponsored Links
Don't do it.
It will not work as if you do, the flange of the waste fitting will stick up not level with shower tray surface.

Take the trap back and get the correct sized trap.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Don't do it - you know it's a bad idea.

You need to fart more to prevent that.

(Google "minions fart" and choose images.)

If you do decide to go ahead, make sure you video it. At the least, post a few good pics. :)

Of all the daft ideas some of these diyers on here come up with that's got to be one of the daftest I've read.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Seems like a good idea to me, decent holesaw and a steady hand and I'm sure it'll save the aggro of a 10 minute trip to the merchants to get the right one for the job. o_O

Jon

Ok, think you convinced me. Thanks everyone. I've ordered the coreect part. Hope I can return the other one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back