Oops wrong socket height, and bad earthing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post here.
I am attempting a total rewire on my property (1950 build) because the existing stuff is very dangereous. eg instead of junction boxes wires are twisted together (and left bare!). Also the house does not have any earth(!!) and one doesnt come from the mains inlet to connect to. By reading some of the brilliant threads in these posts I can see I am making some mistakes, ie I think there might be a limit to the minimum socket height. Its a shame since I already installed the sockets and cut the wires to length!
1. Does anyone know the minimum height to meet regs?
2. Do I need to add an earth stake or do something more drastic?
3. I am using metal trunking for cables in plaster, does it need earthing?

Sponsored Links
if what you say is true, it sounds like the whole house is in need of a complete re wire :(

Not sure on your main earthing, have you got a photo you could upload of your main incomer and surrounding area?

You're talking about the 450mm to 1200mm heights as mentioned in Part M of the Building Regulations. They don't apply to rewires, just don't make the installation worse than it was.

Do you mean metal capping? If so, no requirement to earth it.

Assume you've notified Building Control of your works?

Sponsored Links
yes, this is true, but something is niggling me, but i can not put my finger on it

thanks guys for the quick response! Yea I meant metal capping - this is already installed in some places but was just wondering about earthing of it! Thanks for the advice.
Will try to get a photo today of the main setup and post it later or tomorrow, to show the complete lack of any building earth! I think I read somewhere that it is the suppliers responsibility to provide one?
To answer the question about LABC - I havnt notified them, I was hoping to get a final connection and inspection done by a qualified electrician after I have carefully laid the new cables (ie removing floor boards etc). The old wire has mostly already been removed except for one socket and lights that Ill leave till last!

I was hoping to get a final connection and inspection done by a qualified electrician after I have carefully laid the new cables

I was hoping to win the lottery, but that didn't happen either.

To answer the question about LABC - I havnt notified them, I was hoping to get a final connection and inspection done by a qualified electrician after I have carefully laid the new cables (ie removing floor boards etc). The old wire has mostly already been removed except for one socket and lights that Ill leave till last!

You could end up stuck between a rock and a hard place playing that game.
Personally, as an electrician I wouldn't touch it and there will be many more like myself. You really need to make contact with your chosen electrician and run things by him.

Are you competent to design and construct the installation to current regulations?

Thanks Guys, to answer one question, I have a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, but yes I agree I seem to be out of my depth with the regs. I graduated in '84 so Im well out of date, Its the reason I came to this site. Ill follow the advice and get the electrician in! Thanks again.

Just curious.

Are you still around to tell us how you got on? Is the house still in one piece? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back