open fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my bungalow I removed an old gas fire smashed out the fireback and bricked up the opening (with airbrick),
However the wife now wants an open fire,
if I remove my brickwork do I need to install a new fireback or can I use just the brick opening. ?
Also the pot on the chimneystack has been replaced with an aluminium vent (I assume for the old gas fire) will it be an easy job to replace it with a new pot?
Is there anything else I should consider???

Sponsored Links
The first thing to consider is that an open fire is like an open window - it'll be freezing when you have just the central heating on.

If the burning sold fuel is in contact with the brickwork, you will need a new fireback & liners otherwise the constant heat/cool cycle is likely to disintegrate the bricks. You also need to get the suitability of the flue checked out; if it has a gas flue liner fitted it may not be classed as grade ‘A’ which you will need for burning solid fuel.

Agree with John ....apart from 1 point ...........chimney liner ..........it may not have been built with a liner in the first place...........I mean a clay liner put in as it was constructed....My house is 1959 and the fireplace was built for an open fire .class 1 @ the time no liner to flue ...........a gas fire was later fitted.........I just use a firebasket with a back to it to protect the low bricks .......you`re more likely to have problems with it not drawing than anything........have a look on www for solid fuel .....must be mega info ;)

Sponsored Links
Do you mean an open fire with coal on it?

Your wife will be surprised how much dust they make.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back