Open Mind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're working on a refurb project which is going to be a fault management centre for a large telecoms company. Because the area will be used 24/7 the client has spent quite a lot of money on making the area very comfortable for the users.

One of the things they are fitting to 200 odd flat screens (in an effort to reduce sickness) are these: http://www.airiontechnologies.com/products_mymicroZone_VDU_Ioniser.htm

Does anyone have experience of Ionisers?

Sponsored Links
All the rage a few years back but got reputation for being a gimmick so interest died off, personally I think there is enough negativeness around without adding more negative ions.

Will they do the same with laser-printers (if there are any) is what I'm wondering.

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Will they do the same with laser-printers (if there are any) is what I'm wondering.
Death to all ozone pollution devices!

gcol said:
http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/ioniser-mymicrozone-computer-air-ioniser.htm
200 x £70 = £14000 What a nice person spending all that money on the wellbeing of his staff.

Only time I've seen an ioniser at work is years back - my parents had one. Only difference I could detect is that it made the walls dirty near the unit.

With the air purifiers and other related stuff it's more like 35K :eek:

I've have a search around and there are quite a few articles that back them up as long as the ozone emissions are controlled.

I've even read they increase your sex drive. Maybe one of the directors fancies his PA?

Although 35K for a shag seems a bit over the top to me

I read a test of them in some journal a few years ago, apparently they really do work ( :eek: ) and cause pollutants in the air to "fall out."

Some users decided to discontinue use because this "fall out" makes a black halo around the ioniser on your desk or other surface, in the same way that you get black pattern staining on walls and ceilings where dirty air rises above radiators.

I'm beginning to think the black marks maybe worth suffering for the benefits.....

Do not know how relevant this is, if at all :D :-

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser#Ionic_air_purifiers]WikiPediA[/url] said:
Consumer Reports court case

Consumer Reports, a non-profit U.S.-based product-testing magazine, reported in October 2003 that air ionisers do not perform to high enough standards compared to conventional HEPA air filters. In response to this report, The Sharper Image, a manufacturer of air ionisers (among other things), sued Consumer's Union (the publishers of Consumer Reports) for product defamation. The Sharper Image's Ionic Breeze unit did meet all EPA guidelines, including less than 50 ppb ozone production [citation needed]. Consumer Reports gave the Ionic Breeze and other popular units a "fail" because they have a low Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). CADR measures the amount of air circulated during a short period of time, and was originally designed to rate fan-based purifiers. The Sharper Image claimed that this test was a poor way to rate the Ionic Breeze, since it does not take into account other features, such as 24-hour a day continuous cleaning, ease of maintenance, and silent operation. The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California subsequently struck The Sharper Image's complaint and dismissed the case, reasoning that The Sharper Image had failed to demonstrate that it could prove any of the statements made by Consumer Reports were false. The Court's final ruling in May 2005 ordered The Sharper Image to pay $525,000 USD for Consumer Union's legal expenses

Consumer reports - more on ionising

... And more
:?:

I worked in a house once and the couple, who both smoked rollies...and lots of em had their Oiniser by the telly...

Turning one half of the room a lovely sepia colour

How quaint!

Sponsored Links
Back