Open Thorn EMI Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change the head on my motorised valve, and I'm falling at the first hurdle.

I have a very old Thorn EMI heating controller, which I obviously need to get into to get to the wiring, but for the life of me I can't work out how to get the cover off! There are no screws that I can see, and when I tried some gentle exploratory prising in case it's just clipped on there doesn't seem to be any movement.

I'm afraid I can't see any markings that would identify it's model, but if it helps the back plate and body are brown, the front is sort of beige and it has three sliders (heating, water, time set) and an LCD display.

Please can someone help!? It's driving me mad :eek:

Sponsored Links
I need to change the head on my motorised valve, and I'm falling at the first hurdle.
So why do you need to get into the controller - I presume you mean the programmer/time switch.

The controller can't be that old if it has an LCD display.

Yes, sorry, I meant the programmer. I need to remove the cover because that's where the lead from the valve goes.

I was under the impression from my neighbour that all the heating equipment in these houses was put in about 22 years ago - which I thought would count as old :)

Have a look underneath for a little slot that maybe a clip push electricians screwdriver in to disengage.(do it with power off) or just snip the wire to the valve and put a junction box in (rough but will get you out of trouble)

Sponsored Links
Thanks namsag. I still couldn't find any way of getting the cover off, but your junction box approach has done the job for the moment. I now have heat and my sanity :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back