opening a chimney breast to make way for a woodburner(again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry i know this subject has had a lot of attention and other threads have been really useful but i guess every job is different so here it goes...

small victorian terrace in sheffield, got a chimney breast in front room with a non original fireplace. knocked off plaster, original brick arch has been largely replaced ( a brick on either side and a bit of rammle) with newer brickwork making original builders hole smaller. all a bit loose and dodgy so propped it and put in a 1200mm lintel across, with a 120mm bearing on original sides of hole (on old brick,hope this makes sense). game on for taking out newer brick work tommorrow and hopefully reinsate (or just instate?) big hole ready for repointing and a new hearth. but what to do with the flue?
the internal flue isn't tied in as far as i can see- just a stack of whole bricks gobbowed together. seems that to remove the bricks would invite the ones above to come down. what to do? the only old brick flue i've had experiece of before had a header tied into the party wall and a half brick every few courses....
i think i want to support it some how, and obviously want it to remain viable as a flue for the woodburner (probably will line, although hefta bloke said its ok not too, another story...) but don't want to infringe on the finished alcove.
any ideas?
sorry for essay

:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back