Opening up chimney breast. To find This!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.

In our new property I wanted to open the chimney breast, so I can put a nice stove in it. However when knocking a few bricks out I only found a black flue(I think) so no depth!

Is this right? Attached pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 358
Sponsored Links
How old is the house?

How far does the chimneybreast stick out of the wall?

Poke your camera through the hole and take a shot looking upwards. Out your hand in for scale.

Is there a concrete pad in front of the chimneybreast?

House in a large 1962 semi.

I got a bottle of white spirit to show you scale

Yes there's a concrete lintal just above the 2 bricks you see.

It's a black angled tunnel.

It's 30cm out of the wall.

We do have another chimney breast which is not linked the chimney. And the opening of that was totally different(see pic)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
OP,
over recent weeks you've been advised by a number of people, including myself, in response to your various chimney breast questions. You dont seem to have thanked anyone?

I'm deeply sorry about that. I have bought a new property which I am entirely renovating based around the advice from this forum. The intention was when I finally complete I can thank all of the forum for their help which pictures of results and what can be achieved from this great forum.

Once I again I am sorry and thanks for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back