Opening fireplace up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello anyone help we are opening up our fire place but has a weird lintel fitted just a concrete slab with a hole in it that goes from the front to the back, can these slabs be removed and a standard lintel be fitted? Or just fit a lintel underneath the slab at the front.

Attachments

• DFB429A7-CCCE-4401-A7A5-7E277AA3D1AB.jpeg
    DFB429A7-CCCE-4401-A7A5-7E277AA3D1AB.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 32E62E32-6508-4662-8A6C-048F0CF467A9.jpeg
    32E62E32-6508-4662-8A6C-048F0CF467A9.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 86
  • F637FED7-3CBE-4F6B-A2EF-BF90D5B9F023.jpeg
    F637FED7-3CBE-4F6B-A2EF-BF90D5B9F023.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
As well as supporting the front brick skin, it could be supporting the corbeling/gather inside, ie where the actual chimney opening corbels off to one side/narrows, which needs support front to back as well as just at the front. Guess you could try and take a phone pic or something through the hole to get a better idea. If you take the 'slab' out, you'd likely need a concrete lintel across the front, but also lintels front to back. The small steel "w" lintels can be used for the front/back. Likely you'll want to strongboy prop it to get that out and the new lintels in. Got pics of when I did mine I can upload if it helps - didn't have that slab though, just the usual builders opening. Or if you're not bothered about raising the height, and just want to go wider, then yeah I guess you could get a lintel in underneath it, but that would obviously reduce the height even more.

I have exactly the same thing, and looking at installing a stove right now. Don't suppose you are in a 3 bed ex council semi?

On mine, the right area is a solid mass of brick and a strange rectangular hole, maybe for an old back boiler? The flue curves right and over this solid brick area. I decided not to try and break all this out and instead to go for an inset fire, which slots nicely into the hole you already have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back