Opening fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am after a bit of advice, will try and explain as best as I can.....

I am looking to install a bio-ethanol fire in my living room. I am looking to locate it on my chimney breast which is currently bricked up (I assume bricked) however for aesthetic reasons I would like it to be flush to the wall.

The sort of fire I am looking to install can be seen here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biofirepl...lacesMantelpieces_RL&var=&hash=item27d990e9db

In order to recess it into the chimney breast I require a hole of 520 width, 236 height and 130 depth. The make up of the fire can be seen on the above link.

My question is this....is it possible to knock out a gap in the chimney breast of these proportions or would I have to completely open the fireplace up first and then rebuild to obtain the required hole size?

Is this a big job or something that can be done by a competent DIYer....if not how much would you expect to pay to have the work done professionally? There is no requirement to fit a flue, clean the chimney etc due to the nature of these fires

Any advice would be appreciated

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Would depend on whether the support will allow for the opening.
You would normally come across a lintel across the top of the chimney breast, this will dictate whether you can or whether, you need to add some more support to the chimney.

Im guessing there is no way of identifying if there is a lintel without knocking off the plaster etc

Sponsored Links
Good question...i dont know when it was built to be honest but i would say its at least 60 years old

If its anything like a 1930s its simple, when people change the fireplace it is usually made smaller for a gas fire or blocked up, the original lintel will most probably still be in place and it's just a case of knocking out the new brickwork which is usually a different size and colour and also remove all the shaped firebrick which is probably still there and you will be left with a big square ish opening, render don't plaster the inside, place tiles on the hearth etc and it'll look great, you can usually lever the new bricks out with a good nail bar as this will do less damage than a lump..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back