Opening loft hatch in winter

We had (extra) insulation fitted when we moved in 9 years ago - to make it 10" I think. After a short time, we started to get dripping bedroom ceilings, the condensation was so bad. We had the "technical expert" out eventually from the insulation company who went up there and said we lived in one of those rare properties that probably should not have that amount of insulation - due from memory to the direction the house is built in. He then suggested either taking the insulation out or fitting air bricks to two walls which we had done. This solved the condensation problem in the summer, but of course caused the winter problem of a freezing cold loft. We had frozen pipes (no damage thank goodness as we have a great plumber), then a leaking storage tank which had to be replaced. We've had the "new" tank lagged well, but live in dread of further problems. We've also sought advice from others as well, but no-one has a solution and, as I've said previously, it's so tight up there, you can't move. Perhaps it would be easier to move house!

Sponsored Links
I find that all very difficult to accept from a technical point of view.

Condensation has to come from somewhere and I don't see why so much water should be present in your loft!

I go in quite a few lofts and follow a lot of building work and have never heard of anything like that before without a fault with something ( usually the heating or hot water! ).

We also find it difficult to accept that no-one can tell us why for definite and it's been put down to the "direction of the house". We even went to the expense of having 6 venting tiles installed to try and cure the problem (before the air bricks were put in) and they made no difference.

Thinking back though, we didn't have (or didn't know about) any condensation problems for the first couple of years we were here, when we only had 4" or so of loft insulation. All our problems seemed to start when we had the extra insulation fitted.

Sponsored Links
I still think that something is seriously wrong in your loft.

Do you have a bathroom extract fan which could be discharging into the loft instead of outside?

Or one that has ducting passing through the loft which has come apart?

It always amazes me when people accept obviously wrong situations and offer expensive work arounds instead of identifying whats wrong!

Tony

We did have a fan discharging air straight into the loft for a day or so when we had our bathroom decorated years ago, but had it checked out straight away and put right, so we know that isn't the problem. Believe me, we have been into this thoroughly and had plenty of advice over the years. Virtually everything done so far has been for free, except for the venting tiles, which we obviously thought would rectify the problem.

This was a potoential problem after the insulation was installed, but my husband went up there and put it right on advice from the insulation company's "Technical Expert". I really think we've covered most things ...

For significant condensation in a loft there has to be a supply of damp air.

I am not at all convinced that there is not some fault causing this.

Its not helping that you have loft tanks. But you have said the BOTH have close fitting plastic covers!

Tony

I would agree with Madrab, and add an extra caution, if you have any open flued appliances the flow of air up through a two story house into the loft can cause problems with flue operation.
I have actually seen the flue on a gas fire reverse when the hatch was opened and return to normal after it was closed.
Simply getting someone to remove lagging from under the pipework in the loft and placing it back over the top of it should be more than enough.
The heat from the room below should keep them frost free.

Thanks. I think we're moving away from my original post somewhat. I'm not even sure we still have a condensation problem any more as (I think) it's been OK up there for the last couple of years moisture wise. The imminent problem is being able to keep the temperature above freezing during winter with the air-flow and our difficulty in opening and closing the loft hatch during winter.

Well Mimi, are any of our suggestions viable to you, do you think?
Just an add on regarding my weather station idea - the transmitter often relays humidity as well as temperature.
John :)

Some good suggestions and I'm really grateful for all replies. I'll have a chat with my husband later and see what he thinks. I know he's reluctant to put anything electrical up there (as I am), but maybe some sort of vent in the loft hatch, together with the weather-station thingie would put our minds at rest. However much we're assured it won't freeze up there, I don't know of anyone having the loft problems we've had, so we don't want to leave anything to chance!

Thanks again!

In which case, hit and miss vents in the loft hatch are the simplest to sort, and they should have the desired effect - so long as the loft hatch isn't a mile away from the tanks and pipework!
John :)

Thank you - yes, I think this is the best/most cost effective solution as the tank and pipes are right near the loft hatch. All we'll have to worry about then is another leak from our heavily lagged storage tank!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back