opening on internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a builder currently running a full refurb on my house. I am a bit concerned about a opening on internal wall which has been made.

We are relocating the door of our bathroom to create an ensuite. This is on the first floor.

The opening has been made and above the opening a piece of wood has been used as a lintel. I am assured by builder this is fine as the wall is non loadbearing. Above the wood are 4-5 courses of bricks. He has looked in the loft and says the wall is non loadbearing.

The wood is supported by external wall on one side (about 2 inches of the wood is cut into the brickwork) and a wood upright on the left side.

Can someone answer

1. Is this correct/sufficient
2. Do we need building control / regs for this (i thought so but builder says not!)
3. How do I confirm wall is non loadbearing when looking in loft myself.

I am beginning to worry as I can see quite a few corners being cut in other areas which has led me to become a bit worried about this.

Sponsored Links
1 Yes
2 No
3 Look in the loft and see if a load is on it!

Timber lintels were common until the 1950's, and will do. However, your builder is a bit of a cheapskate

thanks, has put my mind at rest a bit. there are actually 8 courses of bricks above the piece of wood. They are overlapping a bit on one edge.

Still ok?

thanks, has put my mind at rest a bit. there are actually 8 courses of bricks above the piece of wood. They are overlapping a bit on one edge.

Still ok?

If the timber is something like a 4x3 and the door is normal width, it will be fine for 8 courses of brick. (assuming it is no less than 2" bearing into the wall, and there is no load from the roof).

Sponsored Links
Looks like a piece of 4x2.
Not ideal, but at least it has some bearing each side (of sorts) and is not bending.
Personally, I'd be inclined to let it go for the sake of getting the job done, but keep a sharp eye on other things he does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back