Opening out chimney breast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Started knocking out our kitchen today, begrudgingly.

Pivotal to what we want to do in the kitchen is open out this chimney breast, build it out slightly (stud) and put a free standing 90cm range in the middle.

On taking off the plaster, I was surprised to find the solider course of bricks rather than a lintel although I shouldn't have been as that's how all the doors and windows are done.

Are these generally sound or would an RSJ or alternative still be preferable, I certainly don't want to start banging bricks out until I get a bit of advice.

I don't really know where to start, I know what you can see and say on an Internet forum is extremely limited, and if its seek the advice of a builder fair enough but any opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
They were almost all like that years ago, its just been filled in. I would remove a few bricks from under the arch carefully,and if the the arch above feels stable remove the rest of the bricks.

I agree with above. However:

1. Given that you have approx. 1300mm below the brick arch, and you will, typically, need approx. 1850mm from FFL to lintel, you will probably have to insert a concrete lintel at 1850mm.

2. Typical range cookers have a depth of 600mm and often project from c/breast openings. Determine all your dimensions and do a drawing before doing any more work. Include all detail from below, and the c/breast footprint dims.

3. New elec. and gas supplies will have to be considered.

4. A canopy vent hood is often fitted in c/breast openings - ducting-out, recyling and flue liner are venting possibilities.

5. Determine what your inside the opening (eg splashback ) finishes are going to be.

6. Come back here for any further assistance, there is much more to say, but for now - dimensions, dimensions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back