Opening up and Chimney breast (external chimney)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, sorry for the long winded post! (and the massive photos!) :D

We have be considering getting a wood burning stove installed for a while and in a fit of excitement have removed the old gas fire to see what sort of space we have in the chimney breast. The house was built in the early 90’s.

Problem is that the existing opening is too narrow and too low, so I need to get it opened up, but aren’t really sure where to start.

This is what we had:
IMG_2483.jpg

Pictures showing chimney from the outside:
IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

Picture showing chimney from the inside (not sure if some work has already been done on the chimney opening at some point – just looks untidy and i can see pencil marks on the painted plaster where someone has drawn an opening…
IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Diagram showing dimensions of chimney opening (top down)
ChimneyDesign.gif

Diagram showing dimensions of chimney opening I would like to achieve (top down)
ChimneyDesign2.gif

Picture show up the chimney up the chimney – are these clay liners diameter is 8 inches)
IMG_2504.jpg

I think there’s a throat forming lintel (?) fitted above the opening I’ve created by removing the firebox (is this what its called?). Is it likely this is the only lintel or should I expect to find another, larger lintel higher up?

Secondly (and this is my biggest issue), are the internal cavity walls likely to be structural? My intention would be not knock them down and rebuild with only a 5cm cavity rather than the current 15cm to try and eek out 20cm of space. Does this seem realistic.? I can also see some form of DPM between the internal cavity blocks and the subfloor.

I suspect the chimney is clay pot lined, but what supports the lining?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Andrew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back