Opening up chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought a Victorian terraced house and have been in the process of doing some minor renovations, In the back room the chimney breast was plastered over leaving just a blank wall. I've decided to open this up, just a a feature, no fire will be going in its place.

I've started to remove the plaster and was expecting to find either a fire place of some sort or a void behind the plaster where a fire would have once sat. The plan is depending what was there to either clean up the brickwork if in a good enough condition or plaster and paint it.

However, this doesn't look as straight forward on first impressions. There seems to be a old fire of some description but like nothing I've ever seen. There seems to be a cast iron (?) tank at the bottom and some brickwork that angles out with another piece of iron on top which is then piled high with soot. I also don't see any signs of a lintel or brick arch, which makes me wonder what is taking the weight. Would this have this been some sort of back boiler, there are pipes in the cupboards built into the chimney breast that look like they could be from an old back boiler but these may be remains of something else.

This may also explain why there was some slight damp at the bottom corners of the chimney breast. There was a vent but due to the way the bricks angle out, I don't think this would have been sufficient for it to breathe. Could also have been due to the chimney stack which was in a poor state. This has since been dropped by a foot, re pointed and cowls put back in place.

Attachments

• DSC_0133.JPG
    DSC_0133.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC_0132.JPG
    DSC_0132.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC_0130.JPG
    DSC_0130.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 434
Sponsored Links
Looks like the old hot water heater from when coal fires used to heat the hot water cylinder. If you still have a hot water cylinder check there are not two pipes coming out the side, flow and return going to the back boiler in the fireplace. You would be suprised that one or two are still connected. If no hw cyl then its probabley not in use but may still be full. In that case drill a hole in it and drain it off, and then remove. Piece of iron on top is the damper plate for directing the flames.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back