Opening up fireplace to accomodate stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend removing an open fire and installing a wood burning stove in the near future. The fireplace opening (recess) will need to be increased in size in order to accomodate a stove so a longer lintel will need to be installed higher up than the existing one and then the lower one removed. This will facilitate increasing the height and width of the opening.

The chimney consists of an 8" clay pipe flue with a flue gather at the bottom. The flue gather would need to be removed in the enlargement process but I've been told that it is load-bearing and cannot be removed. Likewise, I've also been told that it can be removed as it is very
unlikely that the clay flue pipes would collapse and should be self
supporting. Worst case scenario, a couple of pipes might dislodge but this
would not matter as the flue would be rendered obselete when the flue liner is installed.

The lintel is separate to the flue gather and it doesn't seem to be in direct contact with the front of the flue gather so I don't know what purpose it's serving.

I need to make a decision very soon and am concerned for obvious reasons. Both pieces of advice have been given on good authority so I'd be grateful for any opinions on this.

Attached are photographs

Sponsored Links
from what you have been told both people are correct. the way the brest was constructed the wider flue gatherer would of been built into the flue using a tressell. Once the breast had been constructed the tressell would of been removed....kind of like building an arch.

Removing the gatherer may cause some of the inside of the breast to colapse like you have been told. But like you were also told it should be minimal.

As you are widening the it any way you could insert a couple of spanlite lintols and repack anything that comes loose.

I have removed a lot of breasts, some from top to bottom and some bottom to top and have never had one colapse yet. just make sure you seek professional advice.

Thanks. Could a steel lintel be used rather than a concrete one? It would mean less chiselling out.

Does anyone know if a resin fire surround is suitable for using with a wood burning stove? It will have 150mm clearance at the sides and 280mm clearance at the top.

Sponsored Links
Even if your surround is safe from fire-risk - and I personally would not be too sure about the 280 mm vertical - is there not a risk of unpleasant smells when the heat softens the resin ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back