Opening up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm looking to put in a wood burning stove in the living room of my sandstone victorian flat. I've started excavating the filled in brickwork to get back to the original builders opening and have come across a load of metalwork. Part of it looks like a copper back-boiler and there is also a small steel lintel/beam which looks like it was added to support new brickwork when the fireplace was reduced in size at some point. The original steel lintel can be clearly seen above with a sandstone block on top of it.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I guess I need to check if there is still water in the back boiler. Also the smaller second lintel feels like it will come out easily so only supporting 3/4 rows of bricks above, but thought I'd better double check before doing this.

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
If you step back and post a pic of the full width of the chimney breast, and a pic of the cleared hearth area and one from floor to ceiling of the c/breast it would help us in giving safe and sound advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pics:

For the moment ignore the fire opening and back boiler issues.Do you have the Stove Mfr's Inst's? You need the them to work to their recom. builders opening dimensions - only then can the lintel be set at its correct height and end bearings. All else will follow.

The gas restrictor elbow in the floor - is it live?

What are the cables/pipes in the fire opening: are they live?

The left hand skirting can be removed after isolating the outlet.

Remove and isolate the outlet the same way from the RH skirting.

The skirtings will have to be adjusted to the new opening width.

Modern outlets are set approx 460mm off the floor.

What is below the tiled front hearth - stone, concrete or wood?

There is a crack on the RH side running up to the ceiling - is this an outside wall?

There are water (?) stains at the ceiling?

The pipe board arrangement: leave alone until the new opening is established.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back