Opening up this fireplace for log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, had been planning on fitting a stove to this chimney before I bought house, assuming it was just a standard brick chimney I was gonna fit a no more props device on wall and take out brickwork below to open space up and stick a concrete lintel in place.

BUT, on removing plaster for wall it looks like theres already been a bigger fireplace in before and someones simply bricked up a smaller one for gas fire which I have removed now,

got some pics here, would you reckon I could just open up fire looking at these? Is that meant to be some sort of old concrete lintel thats there? My only concern was the large grey/black section of concrete mix doesnt look to hang over much at the right hand side.

Sponsored Links
no more props device

Can I ask what a "no more props device" is?

I did one a while back and thunderbolted a heavy section of channel iron (about 2.2m long) to the wall above where the breakout would finish.
Then two small acrows propping at each side.
My main concern was avoiding a "Fred Dibnah" style chimney demolition out across the guys living room and me under it.
Probably belt and braces but why take chances?

I see. Thats similar to what I done only different.

Sponsored Links
looks like just bricked up for the smaller fire ,,, there seems 2 be a lintel in above the bricks should e ok to open up as lonas as uv near as 150mmbrick work under bothsides ov lintil ,,, worth builder just looking at tho as cant see from picks clearly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back