Openreach/bt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the talk of copper wires going will the new system be through my router although still copper to the cabinet? asking because i was going to put a rj45 socket wired with cat6 in the kitchen for the laptop and link with another pc upstairs, the phone is in the kitchen so will i need a socket with rj45and a phone socket as i am confused by what i need.

Sponsored Links
With the talk of copper wires going will the new system be through my router although still copper to the cabinet? asking because i was going to put a rj45 socket wired with cat6 in the kitchen for the laptop and link with another pc upstairs, the phone is in the kitchen so will i need a socket with rj45and a phone socket as i am confused by what i need.
I hope I understand your posting correctly.

AFAIK depending on how your Broadband is 'delivered' at present will affect the implementation.

Does your present BT router have 3 Yellow ports (rjnn sockets) and one Red port or just 4 Yellow ports on the back? If the latter then will you receive a new router.

Assuming that your present 'copper' delivered BB is from the exchange then most likely the move to Fibre delivery, including the 'phone service will (most likely) be Fibre all the way to your premises. That external fibre feed will be to an external splice point with an internal fibre which plugs into the ONT (Optical Network Termination). From the ONT there is a WAN cable which plugs into the Red port on the router. That WAN cable can be several metres long BTW> Your cabled phones can be plugged into the phone port on the router.

If your present BB delivery to the Cabinet (the Green BT box that Hums) then as an expected interim measure expect a copper, wired feed to your premises as part of the transition to 'Digital Voice'. Again you will be notified and may receive a new router. Eventually it is expected that there will be Fibre o your premises.

Apparently there is cable that allows connection from the router 'phone socket to the internal, to your house, phone wiring. When that is used you have to disconnect the external cable in the master socket.

Last edited:
We are not with bt but Shell(soon to be Octopus) the router is fed from the master box in the hall which is a

MK4 VDSL Plate & NTE5C​

via the phone socket next to the router the grey cat5 cable goes to the pc upstairs whilst the disconnected lead is for the garden workshop, the router is situated in a lobby between the hall and kitchen.

Attachments

• DSCF5929.JPG
    DSCF5929.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 56
We are not with bt but Shell(soon to be Octopus) the router is fed from the master box in the hall which is a

MK4 VDSL Plate & NTE5C​

via the phone socket next to the router the grey cat5 cable goes to the pc upstairs whilst the disconnected lead is for the garden workshop, the router is situated in a lobby between the hall and kitchen.
With your setup I'd say you are still connect by copper wire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back