OpenTherm 2+ zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a clarification question on OT and the use of Smart thermostats for more than one heating zone.

To my knowledge, OT is a control algorithm that utilises Proportional, Integral and Derivative control actions to try and smooth out boiler action in order to track the desired temperature, unlike traditional on/off control which simply hunts around the desired temperature with the boiler fully on or off.

In current quest to select a Smart Thermostat, I have read articles promoting OpenTherm for a 2 channel installation. Unless I wasted all my academic study, these seem an almost impossible task unless the system can determine which zone it should be “controlling” at a specific time. If both zones are calling for heat, but are at different temperatures, how can the system utilise a control algorithm.

Would I be correct in thinking that OT is definitely only applicable to a single zone?

Sponsored Links
No, OT can control several zones, it aggregates to the highest demand. There are not usually huge discrepancies in required temperatures across a property either space or flow temperatures. In the case of underfloor heating at a far lower flow temperature a mixer would be involved for that zone/zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back