Opinion on decorating work please

Thanks for letting us know the price. The reason i was persistent is that had you paid £50 a day you would have got a finish that reflected the price.
However i think you've paid more than enough for a high standard which you haven't got.
The plastering doesn't look very good and by no stretch of the imagination is the painting a professional finish. Problem is define 'professional', any one can call themselves a pro in an unregulated industry.

The thing to do next is a bit tricky and this is why i asked if he supplied terms and conditions. In T's and C's it will state what to do in the event that a client is dissatisfied. Some will say they aren't worth the paper they're written on but IMO they at least provide a bit of clarity in a situation like yours.

Before you think about any legal action you should probably give him a chance to put it right, although i'd say the whole lot needs doing again to a standard he isn't capable of.

These types of posts bring out all the amateur lawyers so CAB is probably worth checking out. One piece of solid advice i can give you is to put everything from now on in writing. You will find a few posts in the trade talk forum from people who have had similar experiences to yours, so have a read through. Hope you can sort it out and good luck.

Sponsored Links
I don't really see what the price has to do with it. Either he's a competent / professional decorator or he isn't...?

I agree. I'm not in the trade but have decorated every house I've lived in from top to bottom. If I'd done what's in those pictures, for a friend, for nothing, I'd be embarrassed. It's not as if any of it is hard.

Cheers
Richard

The standard some customers accept does stagger me sometimes, anybody here watch "Homes Under the Hammer" (Mmm Lucy :D ) when you see some landlord has done a referb for a couple of grand! The paintwork is done with a tar brush, and the plumbing looks like a 10 year old did it, of course the boiler and electrics are all legal (shudder) and they are smug as you like "Oh it rented in a couple of days". I guess they might be the customers who give him rave reviews :confused:

Were you on holiday for three weeks when he did the work? You should have sent him packing when he didn't do the proper prep. You say you know what's what so what were you doing?

Sponsored Links
Dreadful, overpriced, shoddy work.

I would have said something long before he had spent 19 days making a mess of my rooms.

As said, not a pro.

Even if he didn't do any preparation, and I don't think he did, some of that cutting in is unacceptable, especially where other surfaces have got splashed/covered in paint.

Waste of time getting him back.

Someone needs to start again/nearly start again.

At first, the pictures just make it look like a few areas missed, perhaps if the job was done in a hurry or on a tight budget.

But as you see more and more pictures, it gets worse and worse and more unacceptable.

A guy who is a professional tiler, builder and painter?

Jack of all trades, master of none.....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back