Opinion on small ish plastering job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago we had serious water leak into our kitchen, bad enough to need a wheelie bin to catch the downpour during rain, (I posted separate threads for this issue in other forumson this site basically I'm sure it was caused by water penetrating brickwork/mortar and running down the inside cavity wall and then into the kitchen, please see https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/major-leak-in-kitchen-builders-roofers-please-help.539752/ for reference).

Anyway I've now had the back of the house re pointed, lead re done and I'll be giving it 3 coats of stormdry in the next month or 2. Ill then be wanting the ceiling repairing.

My question is should it be possible to get a good finish without removing all the existing board all the way to the wall? I'd like it cut neater than it is now obviously then re plastered without removing it right to the wall or extractor to ease redecorating. Obviously I know I'll need to re cut and fit the spotlight in the correct place afterwards and re wire it.

May seem a simple question but not had too much involvement with plastering up to now.

What would be a decent price roughly for a decent plasterer to do a nice job?

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts in advance,

Liam

Attachments

• 20200329_180259.jpg
    20200329_180259.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200329_180306.jpg
    20200329_180306.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
liam548

Your proposal is a commonly used repair strategy

A [very] general cos for a skim coat will be [around] £ 11 - £ 14 / M2

A typical Insurance spec for the damage your images depict is
1/. Remove and replace an [area] of plasterboard, including cost of Noggins, and an application of Anti-Fungal spray, to the timber.
2/. Spark to temporally remove and replace the down lights.
3/. Skim coat.
4/. Decorate [3 coats] Emulsion to the ceiling.
5/. If needed install a cove at wall / ceiling interface.
6/. I will allow for re-decoration of walls [whether needed or not] this requirement depends on how "messy" the plasterer is.

Ken.

liam548

Your proposal is a commonly used repair strategy

A [very] general cos for a skim coat will be [around] £ 11 - £ 14 / M2

A typical Insurance spec for the damage your images depict is
1/. Remove and replace an [area] of plasterboard, including cost of Noggins, and an application of Anti-Fungal spray, to the timber.
2/. Spark to temporally remove and replace the down lights.
3/. Skim coat.
4/. Decorate [3 coats] Emulsion to the ceiling.
5/. If needed install a cove at wall / ceiling interface.
6/. I will allow for re-decoration of walls [whether needed or not] this requirement depends on how "messy" the plasterer is.

Ken.

Thanks for the reply Ken think I followed most of it. I can sort the light, the timber is dry now would it need any treatment? The decorating will definitely be down to me, I'm too OCD with the finish to allow anyone else to do it ha!

What's the cove you refer to and noggin? So looking at the repair you think a neat hole cut on damaged board, replaced and skim would be doable?

Sponsored Links
A "Cove" is desorative [generally] half round placed between wall and ceiling to mask the new skim plaster junction to the wall.

Noggin is a short [generally] 50.mm square piece of timber used to support the plasterboard edges between the rafters [the gaps between two rafters] Plasterboard edges MUST be supported, otherwise over time the plasterboard will sag.

As I posted an "area" of plasterboard can be removed, simply carefully cut out a neat hole, making sure that you [again] carefully remove the plasterboard along the line of the rafter, the plasterboard panels generally sit 50/50 on the rafters, if not add a noggin?

Hope this assists?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back