Opinions on copper pushfit for final bend to radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm doing some minor remodeling of our bathroom which involves moving the radiator (vented CH system). One thing I'm thinking of trying is pushfit copper fittings for the final 90 deg bend (where pipe comes out of wall and turns upwards to the rad valves).

My main reason for wanting to do this is to allow the rad valves to be easly rotated away from the radiators to facilitate easier rad removal for decorating etc. Like most people, I tend to just 'spring' the pipes away from the radiator, but I'm never happy doing this as I always feel I'm placing undue stress on the joints.

So whats peoples opinion, would the 'O' rings withstand a rotation after sitting in one place for up to several years? I've bought a couple of these fittings and had a play (just test pieces in the garage, no water) and they do seem to be very solid and I am unable to pull them apart. My only concern is the 'O' rings and their ability to withstand heating conditions and the odd 'rotation'.

Sponsored Links
I always use tectite pushfits - never had a problem apart from a few dodgy castings on some tap connectors.

Removeable yet can not come undone unlike Hep and Speedfit.

knnelg said:
Hi,

I'm doing some minor remodeling of our bathroom which involves moving the radiator (vented CH system). One thing I'm thinking of trying is pushfit copper fittings for the final 90 deg bend (where pipe comes out of wall and turns upwards to the rad valves).

My main reason for wanting to do this is to allow the rad valves to be easly rotated away from the radiators to facilitate easier rad removal for decorating etc. Like most people, I tend to just 'spring' the pipes away from the radiator, but I'm never happy doing this as I always feel I'm placing undue stress on the joints.

So whats peoples opinion, would the 'O' rings withstand a rotation after sitting in one place for up to several years? I've bought a couple of these fittings and had a play (just test pieces in the garage, no water) and they do seem to be very solid and I am unable to pull them apart. My only concern is the 'O' rings and their ability to withstand heating conditions and the odd 'rotation'.

Solder the joints, they will last for at least 50 years. Do it yourself, or employ a plumber to do it properly. ;) if you are not capable of that, then pushfit fittings are acceptable. As for how reliable they are, you may be wise to ask the vendor selling them to you, ( & then ask him to fit them) eh?

He won`t want you to come back whining will he.. :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Bamber, I'm quite comfortable using pre-soldered connectors and have used them without problem over the years. I will continue to use them for all my connections, with the possible exception of the situation I mentioned above. I'm just fishing to see if the copper push fit have proved reliable in heating systems and then withstood the occasional 'rotation'.

Regards,

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
I always use tectite pushfits - never had a problem apart from a few dodgy castings on some tap connectors.

Removeable yet can not come undone unlike Hep and Speedfit.
I'm curious Dan - what is it about Tectite that makes it different from, say, Hep2o, in terms of being able to come apart?

Interestingly, on another note, Yorkshire guarantees Tectite fittings for 30 years (or 25 if installed with products of other brand), whereas the Hepworth guarantee is for 50 years.

Mind you, EPC Qtite fittings are guaranteed for 50 years. :confused:

25 year warranty, 50 years warranty. Who is going to remember? It will be interesting to see them honour it when a claim arrives - which we all know it will.

Hep and Speedfit are demountable by undoing something that is hand tight. You wouldn't use a compression fitting on a gas pipe because - even though tightened with a spanner - they can come loose and leak.

Tectite are metal bodied and you need a special tool (or adjustable spanner;)) to retract the teeth and pull the fitting away from the pipe. Yes its a pain when you make a mistake, but at least you know that once the fitting is in and water tight, it won't be going anywhere.

The only downsides I have found:

They do a 14mm set of fittings whicvh are foten mixed up in merchants that stock both 14 and 15mm - very annoying but they are marked 14mm on the castings.

Also, I once had a dodgy batch of tap connectors that had fault in the casting - a tiny hair thick whole at the base of the pipe stop whch caused a fine spray.

You mention that Hep has a 50 warranty compared to Yorkshire's warranty which is 30 years with own brand and 25 with other brands. What is Hep's warranty with other brands? I thought they wouldn't warranty their fittings at all unless you used Hep or copper; I am more than willing to be corrected on this though!

Dan_Robinson said:

apart from a few dodgy castings on some tap connectors . So you have had problems with pushfit!!!!

Best he uses a compression joint. He can use a chrome plated elbow and a tail of chrome pipe into the rad valve to make it look better.

By a few I meanst a bag of five had two in them.

I have had to send back plenty of copper end feed fittings over the years 'cos they weren't the right size (and not they weren't imperial).

Dan_Robinson said:
By a few I meanst a bag of five had two in them.

I have had to send back plenty of copper end feed fittings over the years 'cos they weren't the right size (and not they weren't imperial).

Buy good quality fittings and this doesn't happen.

Dan_Robinson Wrote:
You wouldn't use a compression fitting on a gas pipe because - even though tightened with a spanner - they can come loose and leak.
:?:
As long as they are accessible ... No problem?

I asked the question Dan as the OP's post referred to an accessible location.

MW

Fair enough - someone's taken for granted is another person's not realised.

The OP remember wanted to be able to rotate the fitting easily in the future hence the need for pushfit.

I think he is referring to the stuff sold by Screwfix, or Tectite Sprint.

They are low end budget stuff whose only real advantage is that they are copper coloured. As far as using those particular fittings go - if they don't leak going on then fine, but I have used them, and they are not well made and don't fit as easily as regular Tectite nor Hep.

Doctor Drivel said:
Best he uses a compression joint. He can use a chrome plated elbow and a tail of chrome pipe into the rad valve to make it look better.
Making a science out of drivel. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back