Opinions on Homebuyer Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had my Homebuyers Report come through and it has a few items for me to consider. I was hoping to get other opinions on some on the points raised:

• One of the trusses within the roof has been poorly supported. The truss is attached to a ceiling joist. The weight of the roof structure on the truss (which probably occurred shortly after construction) has caused the bedroom two ceiling to deflect and bow downwards slightly. The roof structure as a result requires further support to prevent this defect worsening.

The lounge and dining room are open plan, but there is slight defect across the ceiling between these rooms. Check that a wall has not been removed. - I went to a few other houses in the area today to speak with owners, it appears the majority did not have a wall here, and those that did had installed it themselves.

The lounge and dining room have polystyrene ceiling tiles which should be removed.

The external wall has randomly positioned evidence of holes, which we need to check is for insulation and not repairing of ties.

It has been recommended to repoint the entire north elevation of the property.

There is a loose cable in the electric meter box. Sugestion to have the house electrics tested.

There is no evidence of service or maintenance for the boiler. Recommendation is to have it serviced.

The detatched garage has rot in the roof. The roof has been refelted.

Damp in the garage caused by the garden level being raised above the damp course.

From my thoughts, the electrics, gas and strengthening of the roof trusses are the most important items, but this is my first house purchase, so I would like to know other peoples thoughts.

Thank you for any comments you have.

Sponsored Links
"Roof truss"

- If this property is very old then, this would have occurred years ago and would tend not to get worse. The surveyor may be just covering himself.

Typically, one displaced truss wont be a major issue, but you will need to clarify this with the surveyor

"Polystyrene ceiling tiles which should be removed."

- these are a fire hazard, but removal is an option not a necessity. Ceiling may need skimming afterwards

"The external wall has randomly positioned evidence of holes,"

- He should be able to tell which if he is a surveyor. The council will hold records of any insulation work or wall tie work

"It has been recommended to repoint the entire north elevation of the property."

- Why? Anyway, this can normally wait a while

"The detatched garage has rot in the roof. The roof has been refelted."

- What rot? Wet rot, dry rot? Is there a current problem or not?
That's a crap comment , get him to clarify

"Damp in the garage "

- reduce the levels. This can wait and is low priority

:The external wall has randomly positioned evidence of holes, which we need to check is for insulation and not repairing of ties..
The pattern of drill holes is different for insulation and replacement ties, so it should be easy to tell.

Sponsored Links
As noted above, the report only has a few so-so defects. Par for the course with any property thats a few years old.

The gas and electric show no signs of faulty or dangerous situations.

With any new property purchase it's best to have an elec. PIR ( periodic inspection report ) and a Gas safety Certificate done. The cost will depend on your area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back