Opinions on insulating this vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on insulating this ceiling. It has old felt on it and we’ve had veluxs put in. The rafters at 100mm wide, and I’d read that you need a 50mm gap for ventilation.

What would be the best way to go about insulating this?

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Attachments

• 4376809F-A9A2-4365-A672-7A3EAFF2B95F.jpeg
    4376809F-A9A2-4365-A672-7A3EAFF2B95F.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 3A0CFDD4-A725-4B81-8396-AAB88C602237.jpeg
    3A0CFDD4-A725-4B81-8396-AAB88C602237.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er and may be very wrong.
...but I'm afraid that velux install donesn't look very building control compliant to me.
Were they installed by a self-certifying velux installer, or will building control be visiting later?

This doesn't look like a great detail...

Screenshot_20221023-101905_Chrome.jpg

Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er and may be very wrong.
...but I'm afraid that velux install donesn't look very building control compliant to me.
Were they installed by a self-certifying velux installer, or will building control be visiting later?

This doesn't look like a great detail...

View attachment 283454
Hi,

We had a self-certified Velux installer, how would we go about sorting that out?

Thanks

Hi,

We had a self-certified Velux installer, how would we go about sorting that out?

Thanks
I will let others more qualified than I comment; because the rafter span is short, what has been done may be adequate.
And I'm afraid I don't know how to deal with the insulation either - ideally you want a cross flow of air to allow the 50mm air gap to be kept ventilated. This looks difficult to achieve in your case.

Sponsored Links
I will let others more qualified than I comment; because the rafter span is short, what has been done may be adequate.
And I'm afraid I don't know how to deal with the insulation either - ideally you want a cross flow of air to allow the 50mm air gap to be kept ventilated. This looks difficult to achieve in your case.
No worries, thanks for your input though! appreciate it!

cut 1 put 2 back. (Rafters) I would say its looking naughty.
what is the roof
Hi,

It’s an old bitumin type felt by the looks of it. So you’re suggesting I should get the sides doubled up? Thanks for your help

I can see the felt is 1f bitumen . What roof covering is it ? Tiles or slate .?
The side rafters should have been doubled.
Even more important as rafters have been sawn through

Last edited:
I can see the felt is 1f bitumen . What roof covering is it ? Tiles or slate .?
The side rafters should have been doubled.
Even more important as rafters have been sawn through
Oh it’s tiled, is this something I can do now they’re in? If so, how best to fox them?

I'd be inclined to send the pictures to velux tech support and let them know they were fitted by a registered installer.
You still have the luxury of access so doubling up rafters will be easy enough ..Remember tiles are heavy , snow makes them heavier etc
Insulation going to be tricky to get flow.
What room is this roof over ?

I'd be inclined to send the pictures to velux tech support and let them know they were fitted by a registered installer.
You still have the luxury of access so doubling up rafters will be easy enough ..Remember tiles are heavy , snow makes them heavier etc
Insulation going to be tricky to get flow.
What room is this roof over ?
Will do thanks. This ceiling is within the kitchen diner and extends from the house about 1-1.5m

Attachments

• 04BCC4EA-D9A5-4032-87B0-6F2EC89D8983.jpeg
    04BCC4EA-D9A5-4032-87B0-6F2EC89D8983.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 49
As above really I can only see about 3 complete rafters! don't procced forward until you have rectified this is my advice.

As above really I can only see about 3 complete rafters! don't procced forward until you have rectified this is my advice.

How would i go about 'completing' the rafters? What would i need to change about the current setup to get it to an acceptable level?

Cheers,

Attachments

• 1666549107994.png
    1666549107994.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 42

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back