Opinions on insulating this vaulted ceiling

Sponsored Links
Are all the windows poorly installed, or does it look like just the one with the extra rafter next to it?
Rafters are usually doubled, as are trimmers:
1666551378838.png

In your case they should run continuously from wall plate to ridgeboard.
Deviating from this practice is possible if structural loadings can be proved.

Rafters are usually doubled, as are trimmers:
View attachment 283523
In your case they should run continuously from wall plate to ridgeboard.
Deviating from this practice is possible if structural loadings can be proved.
Thanks RandomGrinch

So i could possibly run some new timbers from the ridgeboard to wallplate, to provide support fixed with screws?

Sponsored Links
Thanks RandomGrinch

So i could possibly run some new timbers from the ridgeboard to wallplate, to provide support fixed with screws?
Your biggest issue regards insulating is venting, which appears to be impossible with that roof layout. I'd be tempted to fully fill all voids with PIR, fill and foil tape, then add another layer beneath and across the rafters, fill and tape again.
You should double up the rafters each side of the Velux prior.

A hybrid roof is always risky especially for a kitchen. Robust attention must be paid to VCL. (y)

I also hope the ridge is fixed well cos now the collers have been cut out not much holding that in place plus think I only see one nail in the top part of that scab detail

Your biggest issue regards insulating is venting, which appears to be impossible with that roof layout. I'd be tempted to fully fill all voids with PIR, fill and foil tape, then add another layer beneath and across the rafters, fill and tape again.

A hybrid roof is always risky especially for a kitchen. Robust attention must be paid to VCL. (y)

Thanks noseall, does this mean I don’t need a ventilation gap at all? Thanks!

I also hope the ridge is fixed well cos now the collers have been cut out not much holding that in place plus think I only see one nail in the top part of that scab detail
Hi Gonch,

I’d fastened the ridge with some 132mm concrete screws - assumed that’s sufficient?

Thanks Noseall,

So I don’t need to worry about a ventilation gap with this method? Just insulate, exp. foam gaps and then tape?

They are poorly fitted skylights, the roof should have been rebuild really to accommodate those new skylights, how many are there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back