Opinions on this 'build'.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I applied for planning permission for a couple of one bed flats where my workshop is, it was refused on the grounds that the local authority have a policy of not allowing one bedrooom properties or conversion to one bed flats as they want to make it a more family orientated area. I changed my plans to a three bed house and I got permission. One of the things I had to do to get it was to make sure the stonework above the upper windows, the front door and the actual bay had to mirror adjoining properties. Fair enough.

Not 100 yards from me, a tiny one bedroom house has gone up on what used to be a garage that adheres to none of that. If you look closely, you will see that it’s about 2” away from the adjoining property although the roof appears to be connected. I was looking at it and the builder came out, an Asian chap, and I got talking to him. He let me look inside - it was tiny! I asked him why it wasn’t connected and he said that it’s easier that way as if it’s connected, you have to spend a lot of money on sound insulation. Is that right? I don’t even think it’s got a rear garden - the rear gutter is connected to the front gutter. Anyway, out of curiosity, I looked up the plans on the local authority web site and it is just not on there so I’m assuming it hasn’t got planning approval or building regs approval. For example, how would you know that the foundations are correct if it’s not been checked at every stage? Can you do that and if not, what is likely to happen - can the local authority make you take it down?

E0F6F760-4130-41EC-872C-6EC02BB16BB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes anyone can build without permission if they like.

Report it and see what happens.

Not hurting me so I’m not going to do that. Surely the local council would have seen this going up or possibly the adjoining house would have said something?

In their case maybe there was no room for a bigger house so it was either one small place or nothing.
In your case there is room for either two small or one big, so they have more options for what to allow.
This is why planning officers are required rather than things being prescriptive, unless you're using permitted development, the reason being there is some interpretation and common sense needed in the process too.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn’t you still need planning permission though? And wouldn’t that be online?
True, i hadn't thought to address that point, and you would indeed expect to find the information on the online portal. Even if they were trying to class it as an outbuilding it would still not fit under permitted development!

Also, if it was an outbuilding or extension, it would be joined to the house surely, not 2” away and have its own front door!

Not hurting me so I’m not going to do that. Surely the local council would have seen this going up or possibly the adjoining house would have said something?
Council can't be everywhere at every time, they rely on poeple reporting. If theres nothing online then I'd think it's not got planning and maybe the neighbors are ignorant.
By what you're saying is say it's an illegal build and I'd hate to think of the potential damp issues in that 2inch gap.
Report it.

FWIW, my guess is that the builder owns the house next door - or some family connection?
If it's not on the council's website, it will not have planning permission.
(It does not mean to say that it does not have Building Regs approval - he may have used a private inspector).
It's likely to be rented out rather than sold, as a mortgage company are hardly likely to advance a loan on a property which
has not got planning permission.
If he sits it out for four years, it becomes immune from enforcement and he can apply to have a Lawful Development Certificate. Once he has that, it will probably be sold.
Often, people who do things by the book get knocked back, while others up the road get away with it by not doing it the 'right' way.

I'd hate to think of the potential damp issues in that 2inch gap.

Why would that cause damp problems? My first house was Victorian semi-detached house that was about same distance from the next pair of semi-detached houses. None had problems. Although, I guess if it got filled with gunk then in time there could be problems?

Obtain building regulations approval ,and if planning permission is required submit a planning application. It doesn't matter what other people do ,they could have their building condemned if they build without the necessary approvals.

FWIW, my guess is that the builder owns the house next door - or some family connection?
If it's not on the council's website, it will not have planning permission.
(It does not mean to say that it does not have Building Regs approval - he may have used a private inspector).
It's likely to be rented out rather than sold, as a mortgage company are hardly likely to advance a loan on a property which
has not got planning permission.
If he sits it out for four years, it becomes immune from enforcement and he can apply to have a Lawful Development Certificate. Once he has that, it will probably be sold.
Often, people who do things by the book get knocked back, while others up the road get away with it by not doing it the 'right' way.

Tony do you know something these people don't?

https://freeconveyancingadvice.co.uk/diy-conveyancing/building-regulations-conveyancing

For example, how would you know that the foundations are correct if it’s not been checked at every stage? - you probably wouldn't :!: Can you do that and if not, what is likely to happen
- anything, if it's built by a cowboy who doesn't bother about building regs approval :!:
The building control system isn't perfect ,and they don't see everything by inspecting at stages, but it does provide some protection and tries to ensure buildings are constructed to a decent standard.
As far as your property is concerned ,I would follow the correct procedures , comply with the Planning consent conditions and make a Full Plans Submission for Building Regulations approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back