Opinions on this quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a double post here but not sure how too move thread, would appreciate your thoughts too the below:

Hey ladies and gents, currently scouting for quotes and came across a builder I liked, said all the right words and got a good feel for what we wanted to do to the property.

It's a 3 bed semi - circa 1900, and needs a full renovation. I've done a renovation previously too this, but this time round want to get someone to do most of the work, anyway, here's the quote (I've removed all references too the company, as I don't think that would be fair), but to say I'm shocked would be an understatement - especially considering that most of the items I would need to supply.

Page one:
http://postimg.org/image/567xpqbe9/

Page two:
http://postimg.org/image/cnh54y0xd/

Let me know your thoughts. In my opinion, I was expecting 8-12k. We're based in Staffordshire...

Sponsored Links
I skim read your estimate, but they mentioned full rewire, full skim, full heating system, ornamental plastering, knock throughs, new Windows, new studwork, new flooring, new doors, roofing work, waste disposal etc?

Unless you live in a dolls house then 31k inc VAT seems very reasonable to me.

Sponsored Links
Going off my last project I got it all done for sub 20, including a garden that had 15 mature trees removed, granted I did a lot of the work myself (plastering, some brick work and carpentry), but ive had a quote for £1200 too reskim thr house, I honestly was expecting this to come in at around the 10k mark and then a furher 15 for all materials. So circa 25k all in.

Ive not seen a full break down, but loosing 20% on matetials, over the 8 weeks for two guys works out at over £300 a day...

I feel £300+ a day for several weeks work is excessive. Appreciate most dont get paid for holiday leave, but even with twenty days off and not considering a shortfall in work we are talking in excess of £70, 000 per annum.

My opinion of course. But I'd like to point this topic back to the original post.

Seems im alone so far on whether the price is fair or not... any other thoughts?

Given the 8-12k guesstimate, whatever ratio fits that budget given that there was one main builder and then a second labourer over the course of 8 week's...

Other ttades ive hired at daily rates hover around the 150 mark.

Ill be skipping this quote, as nice as the fellow was we're just a tad miss aligned in terms of costs.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Couple reasons. I want to be less involved, plumber emmigrated, sparky was my father so wish to outsource that, builder was ok but id like too see what other options and costs are out there... this is my second renovation so my contact list needs some work.

Wtf. At what point did I say everything before was free??!! Seems a fairly hormonal place this board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back