Opinions on this roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have recently been looking for roofers who have experience of plain clay tile roofs and have been looking at examples of work.

Just wanted thoughts on this plain clay tile roof. Trying to educate myself as to good and bad practice so I know what to look out for.

Two things interest me about these images. They seem to have chosen double camber plain tiles for a bumpy country cottage style for the roof.

View media item 74443 View media item 74442 View media item 74441
1) The tiles look very bumpy in places and oddly placed. Is this due to poor tile placement. Or is it purely and aesthetic choice as I said.

2) I did not think it was common practice to mortar the edges of plain clay tiles. For example, they have mortared the edge of the plain tiles on the mock tudor gable end and the garage gable end. I thought it was normal practice to leave this as is. Most of the original plain clay roofs seems to have been left unmortared.

Their re-pointing around the lead work seems to unfortunately stand out a lot.
One thing I really like is the fact they have used valley tiles. I much prefer this to a lead/Grp Valley.

Other than that, this looks to be a nice job. What do people think?

Sponsored Links
pointing stands out because they have added some lime to the mortar ;) they could have used a grey " leadmate" product from a mastic tube

An excellent job - look at how neat and clean the pointing is at the verges, and the lead detailing at the dormer reveals and at the tile hanging. And look at the ridges and hip lines - first class work.

I agree about the loud flashing pointing but, truth is, some people want that kind of thing, probably the same householders who wanted rustic tile so the place looks like Hansel and Gretel's cottage.
None of which detracts from the workmanship.

Thanks for replys

Regarding the pointing. Is it still traditional to not point gable ends on plain clay tiles at all?

As I said, all of the original plain clay tile roofs (including my own) do not sem to have any pointing at all in those areas.

So was wondering why they have done it there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replys

Regarding the pointing. Is it still traditional to not point gable ends on plain clay tiles at all?

There are two approaches to this detail.

Traditionally, the verge tiles would project perhaps a couple of inches over the wall face, a tile 'undercloak' would be bedded down all the way up, the tiles laid, and then the gap between the undercloak and tiles neatly pointed up. For best results visually, the pointing would be recessed just very slightly from the edges of the tiles, to give a little definition. Nowadays, red mortar to match the tile looks good.

The second approach, common from the Arts-&-Crafts of the late 19th century, was to have large timber bargeboards to support the overhang of the tiles, usually without pointing. This is equally acceptable if that is the look required, though it presents more of a maintenance problem.

Agree with the others - those are good roofs.

I think your just being to picky really will you be trying to pick holes in your roofers work to not have to pay???? not having a moan but there's no pleasing some people

The second approach, common from the Arts-&-Crafts of the late 19th century, was to have large timber bargeboards to support the overhang of the tiles, usually without pointing. This is equally acceptable if that is the look required, though it presents more of a maintenance problem.

Agree with the others - those are good roofs.

I think my house (1930s arts and craft semi, similar to that in the images) must have the second arrangement you mention as they have never had a any mortar on the gable edges. In fact I was replacing a bottom overhang tile on a hip edge and noticed underneath the bottom two rows seemed to be all resting on large planks of wood rather then a batten, is that what you are referring to?

So from your answers it seems like this is a company to consider.....if their web images/marketing live up to real references that is...

I think your just being to picky really will you be trying to pick holes in your roofers work to not have to pay???? not having a moan but there's no pleasing some people

Sorry......what?!?! What are you talking about?

I do not understand why you have made such an accusation nor how you actually reached that conclusion.

Please actually read the post. This is not my house....this is not even my roofer. I am looking at examples of a good plain clay tile roof to educate myself. I was interested in different roofing methods and what is considered good practice. There were a few things that I was not sure about so I have referred to more experienced individuals to give an opinion. I really do not see why you decided to respond in such a nasty fashion.

Obviously you have nothing better to do.

If you are going to join a forum on which people are trying to share knowledge and learn from each other then I suggest you change your approach.

I think your just being to picky really will you be trying to pick holes in your roofers work to not have to pay????

full_retard.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back