Opinions please

I

Igorian

I bought a new (used) car at the weekend and took it to have a new tyre fitted and also asked for balancing and tracking to be done.

Whilst they were fitting the tyres, I noticed something a little odd with one of the rear springs and was told to take it to a suspension company for a second opinion. They charged me for the tracking and balancing (about £30).

I took the car to have the suspension looked at and, whilst they were checking it over, they said that one of the front wheels has a lot of play, which they demonstrated. I asked if this should have been noticed when the tracking was done and was told, yes because the tracking would not be correct and would have to be done again when the fault was corrected.

I returned to the tyre company and asked for a refund on the tracking because of the play, only to be told "well we don't check any of that and the tracking was done and that's what I paid for". I tried to argue the point but was asked why I was driving around with a faulty wheel bearing. My reply was that I didn't actually know if was faulty and assumed that they, as experts, should have noticed the fault whilst tracking the vehicle.

Am I being picky or should they have checked?

Sponsored Links
sadly they dont posses enough common sense to do an initial test to confirm if play is present and just track the car. The car gets tracked on its wheels as well so it would not be that evident unless the play was huge

I agree - the car would be stationary on the ramp and on its wheels when the tracking was set.....wheel bearing play isn't common these days but I'm not making excuses for them!
The bearing play must have been considerable.....!
John :)

I wouldn't consider checking the tracking unless I was satisfied that all the steering and suspension components were in tip top order. What would be the point? You've just seen what happens when it's not checked.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't consider checking the tracking unless I was satisfied that all the steering and suspension components were in tip top order. What would be the point? You've just seen what happens when it's not checked.
Exactly right, with both front wheels off the ground, a good shake vertically and laterally would show up any loose play.
garages that do tracking do so with the front wheels on the ground, I suspect they think you would not ask for tracking, if there was any sloppiness in the steering.

Wotan

Thanks for the replies fella's.

I guess I kind of assumed that tracking would involve some basic checks. The wheels were raised for a time whilst the tyres were changed and the same guy did all the work.

To finish the story, I had ordered a tyre for the spare as they didn't have enough in stock when I first arrived. On the day I returned to collect the spare and ask for a refund on the tracking, the Manager handed back my empty rim and asked me to leave. :( I guess I should have kept quiet until I got the spare, but hindsight and all that. :)

I think ch427 got it right in one.....anyway whats done is done so good luck with the new motor.
Can't remember the last time I had a wheel bearing as bad as that...track rod ends and racks, yes but thats about it.
John :)

Back