optima xm house alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a bungalow with a 4 zone optima xm alarm system.
one zone is a breaker on the front door, the other 3 zones are back kitchen, back bedroom and living room.

I want to put a PIR in the garage,

1) is it feasable to just wire into one of the other zones

2) I also have a small Yorkshire terrier, I sometimes leave in the house and have to leave the alarm off, I have heard about PIR that don't detect small animals, are they any good and has anyone had experiences with the best ones to buy.

Regards
TC

Sponsored Links
no you cant, you wont know which one has gone off

pet pirs are great..........at detecting pets

leve it as it is and save money

as breezer says you shouldnt put more than one unlatching device per zone. Not to say you cant but its not best practice. Id advise against it.

re pet sensors. Im not a huge fan either but they do exist and if fitted and setup correctly you will be ok.

Out of choice id go for perimeter protection where pets are concerned 99 times out of 100

Thanks fella's

I don't think I'd be much cop at setting pet PIR's so that's saved me wasting cash.

Also your answer on doubling up on zones has also made my mind up, I'll use the zone from the living room and re-route to the garage, as that is the unlikliest place an intruder would try to gain access (too exposed to neighbours etc)

Mind you that perimeter protection might be worth considering, is that easy to fit and set up? and do you have any experience of reliable ones?

Regards

TC

Sponsored Links
shock sensor such as shock guars and viper are the most common.

how ever being as they have to go on windows you have to hide the cable to them, easier when house being built. yes you can still hide it as in your case, but i dont like them either.

yes you can / should "set them up right"

however some one tries to break in, statrs and hits window, alsrm goes off they do a runner (desired result)

how ever to you and eveyone else its a false alarm because no one saw the window being hit.

you must also use an 8 core for eacch one so you can make them r the one which went off first latch.

2 X 8 cores on a window and in a shock sensor its not easy but can be done, or make junctions out of site

as for pir in garage, dont, change it to a duel tek if your garage is like most

Thanks fella's

I don't think I'd be much cop at setting pet PIR's so that's saved me wasting cash.

Regards

TC

its a damm site easier to set up than a perimeter system ( and a lot less likely to false alarm too) - something else to consider if your viper activates (either falsely or malicously then it should be OFF the system when it re-arms, might as well leave your doors and windows open (oh yeah - it wont detect that action either) without a secondary device to cover the same area

perimeter has a minimal use in a much larger system but as the primary means of detection ?

well I wouldnt

Thanks atilla, I'm sure the other guys who have suggested things would agree with you but felt it was worth suggesting, not knowing what my experience was at setting it up etc;
I take all advice on board and make my decision after thorough research, the main thing is getting pointed in the right direction, to help with the decision making.
Regards
TC

Thanks atilla, I'm sure the other guys who have suggested things would agree with you but felt it was worth suggesting, not knowing what my experience was at setting it up etc;
I take all advice on board and make my decision after thorough research, the main thing is getting pointed in the right direction, to help with the decision making.
Regards
TC

LOL - its a bit like marmite

dont think i would want to put marmite on the wall :LOL:

(i know, you either love it or hate it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back