optima xm6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help with advise on this problem,
Local Scout hut I am involved in has just knocked down a stud wall and found cable inside stud so stopped. I had a look and suspect it is the burglar alarm cable. (I removed all the mains cable in the wall before they started to knock down and left them to it). Zone 4 is showing the tamper light on. We have no manual on how to disable this zone. It looks like I will need to rewire this cable as not long enough to reroute and suspect it was damaged during renovations. Anyone got a manual or can give advise I will be extremely grateful. Been house sparks for years but never touch alarms before as never had to so I am competant to carry out work with the correct information / manual.

Sponsored Links
Ian, if it's just a damaged cable then simply run your new cable to wherever the old one went and connect it in the panel like-for-like. The existing zone 4 wiring will show you where those connections are. Just make sure you don't short any 12v cable.
To keep it working in the mean time put a small wire loop in zone 4 at the panel and remove the wiring from the global tamper that is associated with zone 4. You should then be able to reset it and use it as normal.

Hello, can anyone help with advise on this problem,
Local Scout hut I am involved in has just knocked down a stud wall and found cable inside stud so stopped. I had a look and suspect it is the burglar alarm cable. (I removed all the mains cable in the wall before they started to knock down and left them to it). Zone 4 is showing the tamper light on. We have no manual on how to disable this zone. It looks like I will need to rewire this cable as not long enough to reroute and suspect it was damaged during renovations. Anyone got a manual or can give advise I will be extremely grateful. Been house sparks for years but never touch alarms before as never had to so I am competant to carry out work with the correct information / manual.
It shows Z4 tamper, so thats the one you need to short out. As far as i'm aware, it isn't Global.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, to answer 1 point it is in the county of Norfolk UK, I was up there again tonight and managed to disable the zone to allow the alarm to be used again. What cables or part of zone 4 circuit do I need to link to enable use and what is the recommended cable for burglar alarms so I can rewire later? Once again many thanks to all who took the trouble to respond.

An Alarm zone is a loop that goes out to a sensor and back again - so simply link the two zone 4 terminals together with a smaller loop.

I can't remember what sort of tamper it has - but again make a tiny loop out of a bit of wire or if it is global simply remove the cable from the tamper loom.

Just about any electrical wholesaler will sell 4/6 core cable.

the xm has a global tamper so id say its more likly that you have a tamper light on. Ideally you should get in an engineer but as joe said assuming no fuses have been blown ets then a new cable point to point will sort you.

Thanks for all the replies and tips. Only just got my computer back from shop and not been able to log on for a while. Once again thanks. I will remove the zone cable completely as wall is down. Not sure where to link out, as am I right in saying the reed switch has 2 contacts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back