Options for a sloping roof with no gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
my neighbour has guttering and roof tiles that are on my side of the property line, so technically it's trespassing - the wall is the property boundary so you can see the white box and the roof tiles and ultimately the guttering are all on our side. given this was the case before we bough the house (i know half of the guttering below has been up for at least 15 years and it was extended to run the full length in the last five years)

question:

- i want to work with the neighbour to remove the overhanging tiles and guttering and box so it sits on their side of the property (willing to finance this) - are there any guttering options that sit within a sloped roof with no overhang? what's the name of such options?

- worst case if there is no guttering at all then i guess the water just runs down the wall - are there any huge disadvantages to not having guttering? i dont necessarily see how it's any different to water running down the side of my house..

Thanks!

gutter.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's quiet simple , cut back roof so it's flush with or slightly overhanging the cavity .
Add a course of bricks , line out the notch with timber and line with lead or lead alternative. Refit gutter further back so it's no longer over hanging the outside of the wall .
Re tile the lowest tile couses to suit.

Or just get the deeds changed to allow it if all parties are happy with that solution, probably cheaper too.

hi
my neighbour has guttering and roof tiles that are on my side of the property line, so technically it's trespassing - the wall is the property boundary so you can see the white box and the roof tiles and ultimately the guttering are all on our side. given this was the case before we bough the house (i know half of the guttering below has been up for at least 15 years and it was extended to run the full length in the last five years)

question:

- i want to work with the neighbour to remove the overhanging tiles and guttering and box so it sits on their side of the property (willing to finance this) - are there any guttering options that sit within a sloped roof with no overhang? what's the name of such options?

- worst case if there is no guttering at all then i guess the water just runs down the wall - are there any huge disadvantages to not having guttering? i dont necessarily see how it's any different to water running down the side of my house..

Thanks!

View attachment 332845
you cant do it without stripping that section of the roof and discharging into a box gutter

downsides: itll cost over £1k and if not done correctly could cause a leak into the neighbours extension

What does your neighbour think of this proposal? It would require not only removing the gutter, but also the tile overhang and accompanying soffit, and then presumably cutting back the rafters that overhang and support the soffit as well. Quite a substantial job, and one that must increase the chances of water leaking into your neighbour's property.
Presumably, when you neighbour had this constructed (before you bought your house) he'd come to an agreement with the previous owner of your house to have this overhang. Is this reflected in the deeds? If so, it might be difficult to get it changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back