Options for building a long boundary fence v wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 40m right boundary line which I share with the neighbour. I think the existing rotten fence line is his as my deeds make it clear that my left side is mine. However, they are claiming it is not clear because the land on which their house was built used to be an orchard that belong to a previously owner of my home some 30 years ago before it was developed, so their deeds do not make it clear. Anyway, that is not the issue.

I have proposed to them that we share the cost of replacing the fence line with a 1.8m high wall. That of course will be quite costly so we are exploring other options including a 1m wall and fence line above it, however that is also quite costly.

The reason why I want a wall over a fence is because we have foxes and badgers that dig under the fence line across many fences and with young children I want to fix this situation.

Is it possible to installed double height concrete gravel boards that go beneath the soil to act as a solid guard against these animals from tunnelling through? If so, how does one double decker the gravel boards and to what height can that be done before the fence goes on top. Any other considerations I should give to this idea as this the cheapest way of doing what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The gravel boards are the same length as the width of a panel. If you want to bury a gravel board then this must be done at the same time as the posts are erected, so the concrete that holds the post cab binds around the lower gravel board.
Frank

To stop foxes and badgers getting my ducks I used chain link dropped 1 ft into the ground.

Sponsored Links
Mr_T25, HI

Foxes, in an urban setting are really clever or nasty whichever side of the divide you are on? love them or [if a Chicken / Duck keeper] hate them?

Excavation under fencing is a problem, the timber boards will deter, but a fired up Fox or badger can get through, have you seen the claws on a Badger? Wire netting, but must be Chain Link! as previous post appears a load better bet, but will have to be replaced at much longer intervals, steel link will corrode underground, but at a far, far slower rate than timber??

Next consideration is height of fence above ground ? Foxes can climb? as will a Badger, but to a lesser extent, you need to consider the height of the fence.

I've seen foxes getting over a six foot fence with no trouble at all, though when not in a hurry they prefer to walk casually up a compost heap or something first.

I don't know if adding trellis on top would discourage them, but it would have to be without gaps, and on all sides. With a 40m boundary I see no chance.

An overhang usually stops them. I bent some chicken wire over at the top. Urban foxes seem to climb more than the rural ones.

More a source of pleasure in the study of nature.

DSCF0584.JPG

Since when were foxes or badgers a threat to young children?
Indeed. We're also encouraged to allow spaces under our fences to help hedgehogs.

Possibly the OP is concerned that his children might harm the animals? I'm sure the animals can look after themselves.

Cheers
Richard

Since when were foxes or badgers a threat to young children?

I know that badgers can often be mistaken for the more dangerous killer whales. And foxes are commiting more ASB since the beagle population got laid off, and the high cancer rates.

Aside from them ruining the fence line by digging multiple large holes between the boundary, I guess putting out a saucer of milk should be made mandatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back