Another ... retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Looking for some advice please.

Some of my boundary fence posts have rotted and need replacing. The issue is that there’s a difference in height of about 50-60cm between my ground and my neighbour’s ground. The original “retaining wall” from when the house was built (in 2004) consisted of a series of 10cm thick wooden posts. These are now also rotting and need to be replaced.

The existing fence posts are set in concrete on the low side. The plan is to replace the fence these with 3m concrete posts. The fence panels are 1.8m.

I would really appreciate thoughts on how substantial the retaining wall needs to be. For example simply using gravel boards, with the first board set into concrete at the base, should be stronger than the posts that were there originally. But is that sufficient?

For anyone recommending an impermeable wall, would I need to consider drainage for that height? The area is not fully enclosed; the ground level decreases towards the front of the property. But there is approximately 11m of wall.

There is also the wind load on the fence to consider. As you can see in the drawing the majority of the fence is well sheltered from the houses. Despite the nature of the existing construction It is only the posts becoming rotten after 15 years that have caused an issue.

Plan drawing and photos attached, high side is on the right. The fence between C and D has no retaining wall; the ground is sloping away here.

Many thanks

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg boundary-fence.jpg

Sponsored Links
Posts and gravel boards (done right) will retain 600mm. I've got as many as three betwixt me and the neighbour.

Thanks @noseall - can you elaborate on 'done right'? What about drainage?
More about getting a decent amount of concrete around the post and having plenty of post (min2'-0") in the ground. We try and sink the first GB into the soil a wee bit and fill the post holes enough so that the concrete bunches up around the bottom of the GB. Drainage is not so much of an issue unless you are in clay.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Yeah the soil is quite clay-heavy. We'd just about get 2' into the ground - 0.6m + 0.6m drop +1.8m panel = 3.0m post height.

Also interested to hear of any other thoughts / options / opinions ...

There are a number of other options. All more complex and expensive than the one which nose has already suggested

Also interested to hear of any other thoughts / options / opinions ...
I don't know is this is any use but we have fitted 12' posts with three GB's under orders.

Still there.

My body is still suffering.

@noseall Ta - it's a question of what I can get hold of at the moment.

@mikeey84 - Thanks - yeah I know! :) Having seen one such option I guess I'm looking for agreement that GBs are adequate. Also taking on board noseall's comment about clay I'd also like to add drainage - is there any easy way to incorporate that with GBs?

You could back fill behind the GB with gravel. They fit together pretty loosely, so I imagine water would drain between them

Are you trying to allow for drainage from the neighbours property into yours?

@mikeey84 and @noseall - sorry, I missed your replies somehow. I guess that would do it; seep in between the GBs wouldn't be much different from the seep between the existing wooden posts.

@mattylad no; from mine to theirs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back