Options for free timber etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering what options I might have to get free timber. I live in Edinburgh.

I've tried Freegle and found one listing but it's already three weeks old so probably too late.

What happens to timber discarded at "community recycling centres" (i.e. the dump or whatever else it's called)?

I'm also interested in these kinds of projects made with scrap metal. Where do you go to get such scrap? An independent merchant or a municipality-run waste collection centre?

Sponsored Links
If suitable some timber finds it's way to a variety of uses, bark can be shredded for use on gardens, some timber is chipped and burned in power stations.
What do you want the timber for?
Have used pallets before to make garden furniture, readily available and being hardwood long lasting.

I'm particularly interested in this project.

Regarding timber sources, some is listed on Freegle. Otherwise, cheap sources are pallets listed on Ebay and Gumtree, both of which are worth searching for the term "reclaimed timber".

Sponsored Links
I'm particularly interested in this project.

Regarding timber sources, some is listed on Freegle. Otherwise, cheap sources are pallets listed on Ebay and Gumtree, both of which are worth searching for the term "reclaimed timber".
You don't need to pay for pallets, all my local industrial/commercial estates will give them away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back